9800pro Vpu Recovery Errors

My wifes pc has been rock solid for 2 months+ now all of a sudden her 9800pro is giving me random VPU errors on the desktop and freezing during games. i read this is a common problem but why after 2 months.

System Specs

A64 3000+ 754 Newcastle

512DDR 400 (2*256 Geil Value Select)

Gigabyte K8U ULI Chipset Latest Bios

Connect 3d Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb with Artic Cooling

QTec PSU 500w 18a on 12v little low but has been fine

at first i thought it maybe because the GPU was overheating so i took the Artic Cooling Apart and cleaned out all the dust looks brand new also resat it with a new rice sized blob of AS3.

that didnt work still getting the errors so updated her motherboard Drivers to the latest versions also got hold of the latest ATI Drivers. and still does the same thing!!!

finally after reading some other forums it disabled agp fast writes but that didnt work either i am flumoxed

ATI had some problems with VIA chipsets. By any chance does this happen only in games or what????

My sister sister had that same problem (9200 + Epox Socket A, VIA). I had to look for on the VIA arena for the latest chipset drivers.

Edited by silkster

I've had the same problem with my 9800PRO never could solve it, so I'm in the process of RMAing it to ATI in hopes that they can repair it. Its for my kids rig so its not that big of a deal, i have an old 9200 in there now! anyway......good luck, but you may want to go on to ATI's site and get an RMA #. :)

i think the warranty is way over now i bought the card when they first came out a long time ago.

i have been running the Real-Time HDR IBL on both screens for about 2 hours with the side of the case off and no crashes

i think its time to find my coolermaster mini heatsinks that i bought when i was first using the card the memory on it seems really HOT

Im having a quite similar problem with my 9800pro too, in windows its stable and nothing bad occurs, but when i play a game, after like 5 Minutes the game freezes and results in rebooting the computer. I dont think my card is overheating, i have an arctic silencer, and have re-applied thermal paste a couple of times. I also have memory heatsinks, and when i touch them they are just warm, not hot. Reinstalling drivers, and even older drivers did not work. I think this card is just dead :/ Unless anyone knows what could be wrong, i've fiddled with fast writes and all that stuff before, no avail