Windows Xp Keeps Restarting...

HiImAlvin

I trying to fix my friends computer... And all it does when I start it is run SCANDISK then when its finished it just restarts and does it over and over and over again..

I tried unplugging everything, IDE cables etc and no luck.

Also tried to reset CMOS but no luck...

Any other options???

Theres an optiont to disable disk check, But I forgot where, I have to look it up.

So when you turn it on, after POSt it goes right to disk Check? then before getting to the OS it just restarts?

Can you get into safe mode?

hit F8 right after BIOS screen and select Safe mode.

Theres an optiont to disable disk check, But I forgot where, I have to look it up.

So when you turn it on, after POSt it goes right to disk Check? then before getting to the OS it just restarts?

Can you get into safe mode?

hit F8 right after BIOS screen and select Safe mode.

584535[/snapback]

Yeh after POST it goes into that WINDOWS XP loading screen THEN it goes into DISK CHECK. After that it just restarts. I've tried going into SAFE MODE.. no luck..... all that happens is all the drivers for SAFE MODE load then thats it... it just stays there, eventually it restarts.

If theres a way to disable disk check please let me know..... THANKS!

theres no way to disable disk check if you can't get into windows, (that I know of).

If you have the XP disc that came with it, try booting off of it and running a repair.

theres no way to disable disk check if you can't get into windows, (that I know of).

If you have the XP disc that came with it, try booting off of it and running a repair.

584550[/snapback]

Thanks... btw. I do have an XP cd.. but never done a repair off of it. Any tips?

You just pop it in, right when you turn on computer wait for it to say boot from disk, then press enter, wait for it to load, then goto install windows, then when it detects the previous OS, hit R, which tells it to do a repair of windows, which basically just replaces the windows Folders.

However, disk check usally pops up when windows detects disk errors, bad sectors and such.

Might want to start backing up data by attaching it to a different computer as a slave drive and copying files over.

Edited by Ste