Red Hat

gotdamojo06

I want to install Red Hat on my machine, but before I do it, I want to know if it will support wireless networking. Currently I run Windows XP and I want to experiment on Red Hat. I want to be able to use the internet as well. We have a Linksys cable internet and wireless network unit in my family room on my parent

Edited by gotdamojo06

i'm assuming that when you say red hat, you mean Fedora Core in its latest iteration (FC4). I use that distro on my laptop currently (IBM T41) with the madwifi drivers and it works.

Other distros that are good beginner ones (Suse, for example) should work nicely as well.

However, I think you should seriously consider a gentoo install, which is what i plan on dong next.

I suggest you read up on alternate OSes (Linux and Unix) before delving into this stuff. You seem to have some misunderstandings about this and I would recommendnot screwing something up by not understanding a concept. I would hate to see you dish out money for red hat before trying out something like knoppix (a linux Os that can boot from a CD) or one of the many free distributions out there to see if you even like it or can use it and/or whether it is something you are actually interested. Also, it is often not necessary to pay for a distro of linux when you can get the same features from a free version.,

I suggest you read up on alternate OSes (Linux and Unix) before delving into this stuff.  You seem to have some misunderstandings about this and I would recommendnot screwing something up by not understanding a concept.  I would hate to see you dish out money for red hat before trying out something like knoppix (a linux Os that can boot from a CD) or one of the many free distributions out there to see if you even like it or can use it and/or whether it is something you are actually interested.  Also, it is often not necessary to pay for a distro of linux when you can get the same features from a free version.,

571533[/snapback]

AFAIK rh is free. 9 was atleast. Redhat might be good, but redhat's fedora core is more noob-oriented. Try that. I would not recommend gentoo as a very 1st OS when you have no idea what is what, sure you might learn lots of stuff from it but getting it up and running might be a bit too frustrutaing at 1st and you might even have to trie it a few times. But go with what you want, except for lindows. I recommend suse. Also FC but I dont like that that much. If you have the rh cd's go ahead and use em

Thank you all for the help that you have given me. I think that I am going to try the knoppix because it sounds like I do not have to install it on my computer, it is a live cd, is this correct? Where would I be able to get this at? Just do a search for it on Google and download it and burn it to a cd?