Asus P5nd2 Deluxe And Ide Problem

jpmad4it

hey guys,

Some of you have been helping me out lots recently to get my new system up and running - so before i start id like to thanl EVERYONE who helped so far.

Now, i got my system running, but when i try to insert the mobo drivers CD (or any CD actually) the PC acts strange. I wait for the auto-load thing to popup, but it doesnt. I can hear my CD drive struggling to read the disc. So i go to explorer and double click on the cd drive. Then the PC locks up and the only way to eject the disc to get the PC to free up again. I have the latest BIOS version by the way.

Now, i went into device manager and looked under nForce Parallel ATA controller. Under the secondary IDE channel tab i can see that my 2 CD-drives are recognised and the box 'Let BIOS select transfer mode' is ticked. The current transfer mode is set to 'Ultra DMA-2 Ultra33'. Could this be the problem - that the transfer mode is set incorrectly? I changed it to PIO but the problem still persits.

My 2 cd/dvd RW drives are the Lite On SOHW 1693S and the Lite On SOHW 832S.

ANy help would be great as i cant install any drivers or software, or anything!!! :-(

regards Jonathan

The setting to allow the bios select the transfer mode is ok, but it's not a big deal if you wanna change it 'just to see what it does' - but yes, most likely your drives will run at 33, unlike your hdd, which should run at either 100 or 133.

The quickest try at a fix would be to disconnect one of the drives and see if that helps any (try both). You might also wanna double-check the ribbon cable connections, both on the drives and on the mobo. Maybe try a different cable?

Did you try changing the master/slave settings? Some drives are picky about that...

Disabling UDMA will horribly decrease the performance of your drives as there will be no memory buffer to use during drive access. The better solution is to change the controller drivers back to the standard Windows WHQL drivers.

i think it may just be that the driver CD that came with my motherboard is faulty. So....... does anyone know where i can get the following software/drivers :

drivers:

-usb 2.0 driver

-realtek audio driver ( do i need this if i am aleady using the Nvidia NMixer software?? - i can hear sound so should i just leave it? I would like the jack sensing though and i think that only comes with the RealTek software)

-make nVidia nForce Chipset Driver disk (not sure what this is?)

software:

-ASUS update

-PC probe II

PS i have downloaded the nForce Sli Intel drivers and installed them so far - so whether they cover any of the above drivers - well, im not sure.

its very annoying that the actual drivers CD doesnt work !!!

regards Jonathan

Bare in mind that you are playing with a new chipset that may have flaws. I have seen the nForce IDE drivers conflict with optical drives in the past, so thats' not new to me. The usual fix is to change the drivers back to the standard IDE controller drivers that come with Windows XP.