New To Oc'ing A Cpu

akac

im new to oc'ing the cpu ive oc'ed my video card a lot but neve messed with the cpu just never understood it much i attached an pic of cpuz of my cpu my mb is a chaintech ct-9cjs, any help as to how to overclock this thing would be nice.

That looks like one of those Prescotts that have a 17 or 16 multiplier but can also drop to 14. Anyway, akac, why don't you list the parts of your rig and you might get some help. What kind of RAM, what kind of chipset on the Chaintech, what model of CPU (so 56kers don't have to wait to d/l that BMP).

system

case Lian Li v2000b

mb chaintech 9cjs zenith Socket 478 875P + ICH5R

cpu 3.2 478

ram 2gig cosair xms 3200 400mhz duel channel

video ati x800xt flashed to platinum agp

sound sound blaster 2 pro platinum

40gig wd hd (ata) games

160gig wd hd (sata) os, stuff

320gig wd hd (sata) movies

cpu-z says 200x14 giveing it a 2.8 buy why do they say its a 3.2 i played around with the bios last night and channged it to 240mhz dont know how to chang the multiplyer and kick the volts up to 1.5 and got it up to somewhere around a 3.3 from what cpu-z said.

case Lian Li v2000b

mb chaintech 9cjs zenith Socket 478 875P + ICH5R

cpu 3.2 478

ram 2gig cosair xms 3200 400mhz duel channel

video ati x800xt flashed to platinum agp

544711[/snapback]

Your multiplier should be 16 (16x200=3200). Check CPU Configuration in your BIOS to find out how to set it again at 16. Is something that you have enabeld.

If you dont have heat problems, maybe you could do 16x240, is not bad

the thing is i dont know were to change it in the bios since ive had this mb and cpu ist always been 14 from the first time ive started it. maybe when i get home from work ill bost my bios setup and someone can help me form there.

the thing is  i dont know were to change it in the bios since ive had this mb and cpu ist always been 14 from the first time ive started it.  maybe when i get home from work ill bost my bios setup and someone can help me form there.

544732[/snapback]

In my Bios is something like 'enable CPU Lock Free' - strange name.

I'm downloading your MoBo manual, but the chaintech server is really slow 3Kb/sec (???)

EDIT:

3-8 Frequency/Voltage Control

- CPU Clock Ratio (did u try this ?)

- Auto Detect PCI Clk ...

Edited by 0r4d0

i tryed a little of everything last night. tonight ill take a look at it and try to figure this out. its going to piss me off if its under clocked witch it look like it is.

oh and i dont have problems with heat just swiched over to a water cooling unit this past weekend thats the only reason im trying to overclock mu cpu. built it my self all dd parts.

EDIT--> omg im such a dumb butt i download the bios manual at work and was reading through it and it just reached out and smacked me right in the face. i was in that sceen like 15 time last night frist thing on the screen was to change the multiplier. :huh: i fell like an moron if i would just read what im looking at i could of fixed it.

reedit so im not such a moron i had to flash my bios. found out that the bios that came with the board didnt like 3.2's so i updated the bios and wa la multi is 16 :lol: played aroud with it a little and got it to a 3.8 it was a little unstable. waiting till next week till i get more water cooling stuf to push it more. oh and another thing the online bios manual that you down load is not the same bios i have i looked at it at work today my bios doesnt have the cpu clock ratio that the manual shows.

Edited by akac