6800, 9800, I Dont Know Its Been A While..

SkullZ

Hi guys, its been a while since i posted anything around here, but i saw a nice offer on a 6800 (regular version), and im wondering if its worth upgrading from a 9800pro.

Im new to the whole "nex-gen" cards, because i never bothered reading about them.

So i've been thinking if its worth upgrading my 9800 PRO (128 ddr) to a Gigabyte 6800 silentpipe (256bit, 128 ddr). Oh yeah its AGP, since i dont want to upgrade to PCI-E yet.

I've seen more cards that caught my attention, but the price of this 6800 card convinced me. Can you please tell me if this is any good too? I havent found any review of it.

Thanks in advance,

SkullZ

Well, before you upgrade your video card, consider a new CPU. A 9800 Pro is still competitive, but it needs proper backing. Anyway, a 6600GT and 6800 are both a good deal more powerful than a 9800 Pro (around 60% more powerful)

Well, before you upgrade your video card, consider a new CPU. A 9800 Pro is still competitive, but it needs proper backing. Anyway, a 6600GT and 6800 are both a good deal more powerful than a 9800 Pro (around 60% more powerful)

509222[/snapback]

Hey thanks for the fast reply. I know a better motherboard and cpu would help me alot, but i dont feel like getting for example, an athlonxp 3200+ and then after a while realizing i need a 64bit system to have good performance. So i was thinking of getting the card first, then when the prices for an athlon64 drop a bit, i would build one. But i'm wondering, if i DO buy this, will i see an improvement over my old card, on this system?

If not im going to concider building a 64 bit after all..

thanks for your help, glad to see you're (invadertrax) still around after the long time i've been away. REPRESENTING OCC :)

i would save the money and upgrade the system. my brother's pc had an old P4 1.7Ghz w/ 512 ram and a 9800 pro. he just upgraded to an A64300+ 1Gb ram and still has the same 9800 pro. the old system could barely run BF2 at low settings. but w/ the new system, he can run it at medium to high settings. Same video card. I have to agree that the video card you have is still a good competative video card. you just need to upgrade to A64. even if you have to save up a bit more. :) You could probably reuse ur same RAM, you would just need new proc and new mobo.

*edit* if you upgrade your video card, i dont think you will notice much of a difference cuz your cpu is your bottleneck :)

I agree with the others. Save some more money and upgrade the cpu and mobo as well as the video card, because if you upgrade just the video card now you are gonna be bottlenecking it like hell with that XP2200.

Also, I would recommend saving your money and doing the whole swap at once. These are the days to start asking yourself how/when you're going to make the switch to PCI-E. Your upgrade is the perfect chance, if you wait and do it all at once.

You can just pick up a 939 A64 and an nforce4 board along with a 6600gt or plain 6800. That would be a sweet upgrade and really not that expensive for the improvement you'd see.