I've Never Overclocked Before.

I want to overclock my system a little bit to get some more FPS in games. Here are my system specs:

Sempron 2400+ | 1667 MHz | 166 * 10 | 1.6v

1024 MB PC2700 Kingston Value RAM

ECS K7VTA3 v6 | VIA chipset

GeForce4 MX420 64 MB | 250/333

My CPU temperature is about 31*C at idle. This is with the stock heatsink. I use three 80mm case fans. Two rear intake, and one side exhaust (I've tried other combinations and this seems to be the best).

I won't be able to get a different heat sink for a while, so please do not suggest that.

Remember, I only want to overclock a little bit, to get some extra FPS in games. I know it won't make much of a difference, but if I can get more performance for free...

So, any suggestions for some safe overclocking?

Edited by Nicto10

Just take your FSB up by 2%, or CPU 1.7 GHZ, FSB 170MHz. Should take nothing more than a numerical increase in your FSB. If you want a higher OC, it will take more adjustments in other areas the higher you go. Just in case, raise your vmem from 2.5v to 2.6v

I believe that VIA chipsets have no/flaky PCI/AGP lock, I cant oc my MSI with VIA chipset at all.

I dont know, you might be able to, if not there are lots of Windows/game tweaks to increase FPS.

But you CAN oc your video card, but i'd say get a better one if you can, thats holding your fps back. Lots of people on this site are selling their old 9800/etc. , if you can afford one then i'd say buy one. :D

Just take your FSB up by 2%, or CPU 1.7 GHZ, FSB 170MHz.  Should take nothing more than a numerical increase in your FSB.  If you want a higher OC, it will take more adjustments in other areas the higher you go.  Just in case, raise your vmem from 2.5v to 2.6v

459816[/snapback]

That little of an increase will make a difference? I don't need to oc my video card?

Okay I did it...I will test it out later. :)

I believe that VIA chipsets have no/flaky PCI/AGP lock, I cant oc my MSI with VIA chipset at all. I dont know, you might be able to, if not there are lots of Windows/game tweaks to increase FPS. But you CAN oc your video card, but i'd say get a better one if you can, thats holding your fps back. Lots of people on this site are selling their old 9800/etc. , if you can afford one then i'd say buy one. :D

Yeah, I know I need a new video card..I still want to get a new heatsink for my CPU, a DVD burner, and a TV tuner card. I'll probably get a 9600 All-in-Wonder card, but by the time I can afford it, I'll be able to get a better card for the money. I have no source of income, but my birthday is this month.

No/bad PCI/AGP locks will cause problems with high OCs, but shouldn't affect a FSB OC of 5% or less.

Will you see a difference with a 2% OC? A little. Go ahead and OC your video card at the same time.