Overclocking For Stability?

Hello, OC'ers

If you can/would, please check out my thread in the memory forum, Memtest86+ V1.55 Crashes With Corrupted Display, Also, random crashes in Windows XP, and give me your thoughts. Perhaps memory is not my problem, but it seems that is my most likely culprit right now. My research has led me to believe that some BIOS changes to the memory configuration (timing, etc.) might help, but I don't have the experience at this level to know what changes to make. However, I was hoping somebody who has been overclocking might be able to give me some advice. Thanx!

I sugest messing with all the setings on the memory. I tried slowing the memory down, and windows wouldnt even boot, then when I tightend it it fired right up. I sugest 2 2 2 5as your timings, or as close as you can get, if that doesnt work, set them all to the highest they can go.

I sugest messing with all the setings on the memory. I tried slowing the memory down, and windows wouldnt even boot, then when I tightend it it fired right up. I sugest 2 2 2 5as your timings, or as close as you can get, if that doesnt work, set them all to the highest they can go.

459721[/snapback]

Okay, I am having trouble figuring out which settings correspond to the "traditional" timing specs that are bandied about in forums like this. According to my CPU-Z report, I think my settings, in the format you used, are 2.5-4-4-8, which would match the default (SPD) settings I have seen elsewhere for my DRAM sticks (see other post for complete system specs).

So, I believe that is CAS Latency-RAS to CAS-RAS Precharge-Cycle Time (Tras), in CPU-Z terminology. I can relate CAS Latency (1st value) and RAS Precharge (3rd value) to my BIOS settings, but what do the RAS to CAS (2nd value) and Cycle Time (3rd value) relate to in my BIOS settings (see other post for those settings names and their current values)? Ah, I think I see the Cycle Time in the BIOS settings - the setting is called "Tras Non-DDR400/DDR400". I take it that means it is a pair of values, where the first is the value used if Non-DDR400 DRAM is used, while the second is used if DDR400 DRAM is used (as in my case). Is this correct? And what about RAS to CAS?

It seems that I should be raising those settings to improve stability, not lowering them, so I wouldn't want to try for your 2-2-2-5, correct? However, I read that these values can be successfully lowered, for "improved" performance if the overall DRAM Clock is lowered. Is that true? Does that mean improved in regards to game times, or system stability? I need stability! ;)

Should the overall DRAM Clock be changed, or just the DRAM settings discussed in the previous paragraph? Does changing the DRAM Clock require any other BIOS settings to be changed, to compensate?

I have heard that my Soyo KT600 MB (with the VT8237 southbridge) does not support 4-way interleave very well, so should this be left disabled? Is this report true?

if you have the money replace that soyo board for something better it is going to be a problem in the end

when i first started to build my comps i looked at some different soyo boards that i could get localy but what i read on the net was scary one site tried to review one soyo socket A board but went thru 11 of them i think it was just trying to do a review

if you have the money replace that soyo board for something better it is going to be a problem in the end

when i first started to build my comps i looked at some different soyo boards that i could get localy but what i read on the net was scary one site tried to review one soyo socket A board but went thru 11 of them i think it was just trying to do a review

459742[/snapback]

#1, I don't have the money right now to replace either the motherboard OR the DRAM, so I need to find a DIY fix.

#2, I did examine all the reviews I could find when I bought my MB and this one got excellent reviews and excellent test reviews (plus, I couldn't beat the price at the time). I still have the link to one review, VR-Zone VIA KT600 Boards Mega Roundup (August 24, 2003), where the Soyo board took 2nd place in a comparison of 9 KT600 boards.

Since I am not interested in cutting edge video gaming performance, I didn't see the locked AGP/PCI bus timings as a problem. I am most interested in good, solid, & STABLE performance (although I thought I might get a chance to try some of the many tweaks available with this board). However, when I built this PC, I concentrated on getting the best components I could for the little bit of money I had to work with; and I think I did. I just seem to have gotten a lemon component somewhere, or the combination I chose was just not meant to work together (although I have seen posts by users that have almost the same configuration and no problems).

I haven't seen the review where they went through 11 Soyo boards trying to do the review, but I have seen posts (since I bought my board) by people who were RMA'ing their board. If I could just isolate the problem enough to definitely point to the MB, or the memory, or the video board (lots of problems reported about that board also, but an equal number of praise messages), or the PSU, or whatever, I would replace them (somehow); but that's my problem, I can't definitively point to one component and say "there's the problem!" That's why I'm still trying to isolate the problem, 7 months after I built the PC! :(

I have a kt600 and they arent good for much...I have had the same problem (i think) with my video card. The computer would restard randomly while gaming and all. I had to lower the agp slot down to 4x to get it stable!?!? Its stupid! I plan on getting another mb cause when I bought this its good stock but sucks when it comes to doing custom timing. hope that helps