Xp Pro Login Setup

swammiswammi

Is there a way to change the order of starting processes during login? or order them at all? Seems like my virus scanner and firewall startup in a different order than the rest of the processes every time I login. These are my fattest processes so I'd like to order them in such a way that my login doesn't take 2 min to complete. Any ideas on shortening my login time (besides the obvious msconfig startup prefs) would also be helpful? I'm kind of an OS/registry idiot, so plz be specific.

Thx, swammi

Is there a way to change the order of starting processes during login?  or order them at all?  Seems like my virus scanner and firewall startup in a different order than the rest of the processes every time I login.  These are my fattest processes so I'd like to order them in such a way that my login doesn't take 2 min to complete.  Any ideas on shortening my login time (besides the obvious msconfig startup prefs) would also be helpful?  I'm kind of an OS/registry idiot, so plz be specific.

Thx, swammi

452817[/snapback]

I'm not sure how changing the order would affect speed.

They are all going to load anyways... what's the difference?

if your login takes 2 min.. well.. you have problems.. i run norton 2003 network edition of all there software.. i run zone alarm.. and i run tini firewall on the same computer.. as well as ISA server .. on a 800 mhz server box.. and my login is under 20 seconds..

I'm not sure how changing the order would affect speed.

They are all going to load anyways... what's the difference?

452878[/snapback]

I suppose I'll just go into msconfig and selectively find what's slowing it down. Does windows only load one process @ a time? Overall, I'd just like to know if it can be done...

Swammi

id also like to know how to do this. My internet always starts last, so i get messages about not being connected and my network drives dont connect, so I have to manually connect to get EMIII to look at my other machines.

Is there a way to change the order of starting processes during login?  or order them at all?  Seems like my virus scanner and firewall startup in a different order than the rest of the processes every time I login.  These are my fattest processes so I'd like to order them in such a way that my login doesn't take 2 min to complete.  Any ideas on shortening my login time (besides the obvious msconfig startup prefs) would also be helpful?  I'm kind of an OS/registry idiot, so plz be specific.

Thx, swammi

452817[/snapback]

Remove the processe from your startup folder, disable the services, and go to msconfig and uncheck any last remaining ones. Then create a batch file and start each of them up in the sequence you want them to. Save the batch file (or cmd) and put that in your startup :)

Old PCWorld trick ...