Back-up Dvds

daniel

Well normally i backup all my dvd videos, but today i encountered one in my collection which is protected, how can i back up it?

What do you currently use to back them up? Software wise?

I use DVD Decriptor to rip an image in file format, and CloneDVD 2 to compress and burn. I have not yet run into a DVD that could not be backed up, and I have done a LOT.

DVD Decryptor to rip off DVD to ur hard drive

then DVD Shrink to shrink it to fit on a normal dvd-r

then Nero to burn to blank DVD

DVD Shrink will also let you preserve the menu or not, shrink it to whatever % you want, same with the extras, and the main movie, or just copy the original movie itself. lots of options.

EDIT: both programs are free... just search for them

CloneDVD is NOT free, that's the main downside, but you can get a 30day demo that I believe is fully functional.

The nice thing about CloneDVD is that is lets you preserve the menu, lets you pick all the extras (languages, sub-titles, extra angles, sound options) that you want, then figures out what compression you need to get it on a burnable automatically. Basically just tell it what you want to keep, and it does the rest. Trim, compress, and burn all in one easy step.

I still have the version of DVD X Copy Platinum that copies DVDs. I didn't bother to upgrade since I knew the "new" version didn't do squat. However, the software itself works perfectly.

You can choose either Simple or Advanced Mode. In Simple Mode, it preserves the entire disc, and does all the ripping and compressing by itself, and then burns the DVD. It all takes a matter of about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the movie. Now, Advanced mode lets you choose the languages you want to save, the menus, and other stuff. So far, I've been able to backup every DVD I've tried.

The only negative thing I can say about the software is that it adds its own little Warning menu right at the beginning of the movie (talks about it being a backup or something). Due to this little menu, you can't make a copy of the copy, only of the original again. Of course, you shouldn't copy the copy in the first place since you lose quality, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.