Best Config (partitions Etc)

helpseeker

hello people , i am looking for some advice.....

I have 2X5400 40gb IDE HDD's + 1 Samsung 160Gb Serial-ATA drive

also a 1 dvd + 1 cd writer

its an abit nf7-s motherboard with xp2100 processor and 1gb RAM

(dont know if you need to know all that but thought might be helpful ??)

What I want to know is what is the best way to set up the above for good performance

I have been advised to make a partition solely for the operating system but I dont know how to make a partition, and whatever else needs to be done

so, if anyone could advise me how to make this partition and what is involved

tia

:)

Ive heard, next time you reformat or install windows, theres an option somewhere there to create partitions. I think.

398901[/snapback]

Yeah there is a rather useless partition manager included in windows setup however you will have to install the SATA CONTROLER (USING MANAFACTURERS DRIVERS) before you can install to it.

I would create a partition on the 160Gb sata driver dedicated to C: (operating system) depending how large you want it to be, up to you.

Run the 2 ide drives 1 as master 1 as slave and

set the dvd burner as master and cd burner / writer as slave.

Thats the way i would do it.

Edited by o0python0o

I always run my main partition big enough for things like my OS, games, apps i always use. The reason is, iv heard that more than on partition on a drive tends to slow it done (idk never noticed nor specifically benched) but running programs from another partition does tend to make thigns happen a little slower. I did benchmark that, it was around 5mb/s slower if im not mistaken (dont remember what i used to bench but it was somr free realtime benchmark...) I now have a new 160GB HDD that im trying to run with my 2 80GBs here in my shuttle (talk about cramped) and i think im just going to run it as a full 150GB partition when i set windows back up on it as primary. (it's the fasteest drive by 2mb/s) ANd i have yet to try and see the speed variation with 2 80s on teh same channel vs what speed diff. im gettign running the 160 with my CD-RW.

I always run my main partition big enough for things like my OS, games, apps i always use.  The reason is, iv heard that more than on partition on a drive tends to slow it done (idk never noticed nor specifically benched) but running programs from another partition does tend to make thigns happen a little slower.  I did benchmark that, it was around 5mb/s slower if im not mistaken (dont remember what i used to bench but it was somr free realtime benchmark...) I now have a new 160GB HDD that im trying to run with my 2 80GBs here in my shuttle (talk about cramped) and i think im just going to run it as a full 150GB partition when i set windows back up on it as primary.  (it's the fasteest drive by 2mb/s) ANd i have yet to try and see the speed variation with 2 80s on teh same channel vs what  speed diff. im gettign running the 160 with my CD-RW.

398915[/snapback]

hmm,,I have mine currently set like that (windows on the 160gb drive and all games/apps etc on that drive too) the 2 others are used for storage of media etc