Down To 52*c, Gotta Cool More

Slyder42

I have been running a solid 60*C for a while and now down to 52*C

I need more airflow and came up with the idea to put a large 120mm on the side.. Preferably the 120mm Silverstone. Like the specs and reviews...

I talked to my grandfather when I went to visit them at the farm. I told him I wanted to cut holes out of my computer casing....

Grandpa: That's made out of steel, right?

Me: I don't know... possibly aluminum... don't know...

Grandpa: what size hole do you need?

Me: 120mm.

Grandpa: I don't do metric.  How many inches?

Me: not sure... larger than 3".

Grandpa: I don't have hole saws that big. Dremel tools make a mess.... How about we use my cutting torch and put holes in it that way.  If we cut a template and blast around it, it will be a clean cut. You can use the dremel tool to deburr the edges.

Me: SWEET!

I am probably gonna melt something....

My grandpa... knows NOTHING about computers offers to help with mods... I LOVE GRANDPARENTS!!! My grandpa and i love to burn things. :wub:

ALL COMPONENTS AND FRONT FASCIA are being removed prior to operation

Should I test my cutting on a different computer casing prior to melting mine?

B) Who wants to see pictures?!? If you guys are lucky... I'll even video the results of the case mods and let you guys see it being cut and anything else that may happen. :D

just use a cd as a reference, it is the exact same size, 2nd thing your gunna have to have something in the backside of where your cutting, so you dont melt that part, your gunna have to use a dremel anyways to smooth out the melted metal...have fun with that lol, then your gunna have to repaint what you cut, becuase most likely your gunna have discoloration from the extreme heat of the torch. have fun and :foldon: :foldon: :foldon:

heh just noticed... i am just 1 spot ahead of CNUco2007. heheh

Guest Silenc3

i tried usinging a cutting torch as a test in hs, well with aluminum (sp) it burned the hell outta it, smelled bad, but did nothing at all.

with the steal case it worked fine, obviously but...

the heat of the torch burned the paint, so to fix that you'd have to sand blast your case then repaint it...that equals alot of work, dremel would eb best bet. gl with w/e way you go.

its been said before but i will say it again cd's are just the right size see pic

and using the torch will cause paint to burn, flake, and discolor , so you will be sanding and repainting the whole panel on the outside just debur the inside of the case since your not windowing it you dont need to paint the inside unless you really want to

• 3 weeks later...

what the hell did you cut the blowhole with if you didn't use a cutting torch? a grenade?

next time you might want to consider using a holesaw, it's a LOT easier and a lot LESS work, and it LOOKS better...

it's kinda a shame that your blowhole is so brutal cos the rest of the modding is really good :)

edit: oh yeah, here's my result of a 114mm holesaw

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showto...ndpost&p=376055

only on the fan mesh things of the case and the plastic bit in between the door and the case, but nice holes that took about a minute for the aluminium ones, and about 2-3 minutes for the plastic (to minimise melting/burning)

then, just a bit of filing, seriously only a bit, like a bit of nail filing... not like crazy manicure nail filing or anything lol... ok i'll shut up now :lol:

Has anyone used the "Rotozip" tool? It's supposed to be the aweosme tool everyone should have...

the rotozip kicks the dremel's *ummm u know what* for heavy or large work. but the dremel is still better to small cuts bc it's smaller, easier to see around, and light weight. But for alot of jobs a rotozip is the way to go.

For the hole... I made the Markings with a permanent marker around the fan... got a blank CD and drew around that.... then measured and made the center hole for kicks.... took the fan grille and put it down and marked the holes.

I then used an awl had it sharpened and "punched holes" so I could get grip with my grandpa's new DeWalt 18V Cordless drill. That thing is Bada$$!!

after drilling those holes... my grandfather used a hand grinder (see the "action shot" in my MSN group - picture named CompMod04_00017.jpg

after he was done with that.. he went and took a nap. I then finished off the grinding to polish off some of the remainders and still wished I rented or borrowed a big hole saw.. :(

The silver paint I used for the bezels was that awesome TESTORS model paint metallic silver. Under $4.00 after tax in Minnesota.

The fact that the paint is chipping sucks... Can ANYONE recommend a good clearcoat that I can apply to my painted metal parts? I have touch-ups I need to do anyway. Need to spend NO MORE THAN $9!

The CD drive bezel painting was EASY!!! Directron.com has a wonderful tutorial.

I wish the mod was "cleaner"... but it was better than even I had expected!

Edited by Slyder42