Trying To Make A Game Server

Most server boards do not have overclocking options anyway. A 2-way setup will cost a lot of money once you factor in the PSU, 4 Registered DIMM's (2 per CPU), the board and the CPU's

yup didnt really think about that

so you think a single 146 or 148 would work fine then?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 148 (which is basically an FX-51) will be great for a single CPU server.

Edit:

1x Opteron 148

1x Tyan Tomcat K8S

2x 512MB Registered Corsair PC3200

The motherboard has onboard video, so you save a bit of money there (no need for an AGP card in a server)

The Tyan board can also be used with a standard power suppy, which saves a good bit of money.

Edited by Paranoid

I dun see the point in going with opteron, it will cost you more in the long run because of ECC..you could just go budget and get some s754 stuff might be old but its priced reasonably and I don't see it being bad for a server

I dun see the point in going with opteron, it will cost you more in the long run because of ECC..you could just go budget and get some s754 stuff might be old but its priced reasonably and I don't see it being bad for a server

Actually, the Corsair mem I listed is cheaper than most unbuffered DIMM's

kanbeki:

so your saying that i should just do an a64 754 and that would run just as good as an opteron?

but i thought the 754 stuff was kinda getting phased out and being replaced by 939. anyway wouldnt an opteron run better from a server standpoint than a normal a64?

EDIT: what if i picked up a 754 or 939 and just OC'd it to its max...would that be decent enough to run a dedicated server...or should i stick with the actual server cpu?

Edited by phatazzmoose

kanbeki:

so your saying that i should just do an a64 754 and that would run just as good as an opteron?

but i thought the 754 stuff was kinda getting phased out and being replaced by 939.  anyway wouldnt an opteron run better from a server standpoint than a normal a64?

EDIT: what if i picked up a 754 or 939 and just OC'd it to its max...would that be decent enough to run a dedicated server...or should i stick with the actual server cpu?

I'm suggesting an Opteron because the stability is far greater than a standard Athlon 64. The motherboards are built much better, and the Registered memory helps to prevent errors. My Opterons have been running non-stop for 6 weeks without a single problem.

Edited by Paranoid

and an opteron setup is gonna be 10x more stable...simply for the way ram functions...it won't lose stability or speed because it was running too long...s754 would crash and need to be rebooted every week or else you'd have huge performance hits

see thats what i was told. the regestered memory runs more stably (sp??)...more stable. also would the comp take a performance hit if i ran the server AND the game on the same comp? or for something like that i would probably want a dual setup right?

this comp probably wont get much use unless its used for the server. that Tyan board with onboard video is lookin better and better :D

EDIT: side thought... how do you get the DNA under ur name?

Edited by phatazzmoose