Partition Software

climberdude

I am new to linux, and have eveything done to install finished except for resizing the main partition in windows. i really am confused about partitioning . i am using fedora core 2, and have tried disk druid, but there is no option to reisze. i need software that can do this, and if you could, i need free software.

Edit:

i've been looking for free software for a while now, and it seems that none of it will do. should i wipe my disk, reinstall windows, and make 2 partitions in windows setup? how would you go about doing this? what kind of partitions would they need to be? would i only need one partition for linux, or do i need the /, /boot, and swap parttions mentioned on other sites? how many would i need for windows? as you can see, in know nothing about partitoins.

Edited by climberdude

• 2 weeks later...

You have two options! Wooo!

1) Providing you have the space, you could make a direct copy of the windows partition, delete your old windows parition, and rewrite the new one. I never tested this, so I can't verify the chances of it working, but it's better that starting from option two. I have done this once in a similar occurance, but it didn't boot right, but that was because of a bad boot.ini file.

2) Do what you suggested and reformat the entire drive. What you would do is install windows first and create two partitions for now. Create one with the windows system on it, and leave the rest free space for Linux.

After you install M$ Windows, install Fedora on the free space. You can do what they suggest for partitions, or my way, which is most likely more than you need....

/ (Primary root partition, have about 35% of your free space going here)

/home (Personal files, have about 50% of your free space here)

/usr/local (Program files that you install typically. Have about 15% of your free space here, so incase you need to reinstall linux you won't lose your programs you want :))

I am new to linux, and have eveything done to install finished except for resizing the main partition in windows. i really am confused about partitioning . i am using fedora core 2, and have tried disk druid, but there is no option to reisze. i need software that can do this, and if you could, i need free software.

Edit:

i've been looking for free software for a while now, and it seems that none of it will do. should i wipe my disk, reinstall windows, and make 2 partitions in windows setup? how would you go about doing this? what kind of partitions would they need to be? would i only need one partition for linux, or do i need the /, /boot, and swap parttions mentioned on other sites? how many would i need for windows? as you can see, in know nothing about partitoins.

I've always suggested people wipe the system and reinstall Windows in this situation. :) However, with HDD prices so low anymore, it'd be a lot easier to just buy a 2nd drive (if you odn't have one) and install Linux on the 2nd drive.

OCC has a dual boot guide for Windows & Fedora, however it deals with a 2-disk setup.

• 2 weeks later...
You have two options! Wooo!

1) Providing you have the space, you could make a direct copy of the windows partition, delete your old windows parition, and rewrite the new one. I never tested this, so I can't verify the chances of it working, but it's better that starting from option two. I have done this once in a similar occurance, but it didn't boot right, but that was because of a bad boot.ini file.

2) Do what you suggested and reformat the entire drive. What you would do is install windows first and create two partitions for now. Create one with the windows system on it, and leave the rest free space for Linux.

After you install M$ Windows, install Fedora on the free space. You can do what they suggest for partitions, or my way, which is most likely more than you need....

/ (Primary root partition, have about 35% of your free space going here)

/home (Personal files, have about 50% of your free space here)

/usr/local (Program files that you install typically. Have about 15% of your free space here, so incase you need to reinstall linux you won't lose your programs you want :))

You forgot about swap space.

Try to give your self about 1024MB (1GB) for swap

Fedora wont let you install without that

You forgot about swap space.

Try to give your self about 1024MB (1GB) for swap

Fedora wont let you install without that

If he installs Windoze first and let's Fedora automatically partition the drive it will set up the swap for him. It's how I did it anyway. Although I am a complete Linux idoit mind you.

Edited by Antivert

Edit:

I've always suggested people wipe the system and reinstall Windows in this situation. :) However, with HDD prices so low anymore, it'd be a lot easier to just buy a 2nd drive (if you odn't have one) and install Linux on the 2nd drive.

OCC has a dual boot guide for Windows & Fedora, however it deals with a 2-disk setup.

ya.. i could not agree more.. a second hard drive makes it failproof.. because if somthing happins or you need to get rid of the linux drive.. you just need to do a

FIXMBR.. and your all set :)

I didn't forget swap space, I excluded it. It's not needed at all in many situations.

The most I've ever given a computer for swap space is 250MB. Maybe if you have a really low amount of ram (256mb) you would have to use that.