Connecting 12v & 5v

Ok, next question what about using diods (spell) to make it so that the current can only go one way through the circuit? or using two psus? Thanks for all the info BTW. The reasion I'm asking all this is because, if I rememeber my pelt reading right running 12 v instad of the vmax cuts the heat transfer about in half. Which kinda sucks.

you would have to use +12V to -12V to create 24V, but I believe (if I remember right) peltiers work more from wattage (P=IE) than voltage alone. Correct me if i'm wrong. Simply twisting together two +12V wires, running that to the pelt, and have the other pole of the pelt running to ground would work, but it would still just be 12V, but roughly doubled current (doubles wattage) As for one way current flow, there are diodes; but any need for one would indicate that what you're doing isn't right. If the pelt really needs an increased voltage level rather than just wattage, an easier way would be just to use a dedicated 24V power source. It should have nothing to do with the 5V line or reversed currents (a reversed current in a peltier would cause it to cool in the wrong direction.

Guest Nacho

To get 7v out of 12 and 5v, like someone here said, you don't run the 5 and 12 together, and then to the fan. You run the 12 into the red line of the fan, and connect the 5 to the black line of the fan.

Nacho

I don't mean to beat this to death but I have more questions.

The 226w pelt I got has a Imax of 24. The little Micro ATX psu I bought only delivers 2 amps on the 12 v rail. me= :smack: Gonna get somthing bigger. When the pelt is hooked up teh voltage on the 12v line drops to 9.35. D'oh! I know I can't borrow volts from other rails but can I borrow amps? How about drawing current from both the aux and the main psu at the same time?

Thanks