Post Build/Upgrade Tweeks

I recently upgraded (finally) from a i7-920 w/ GTX 670 to a i7-4970k and a GTX 1060. While doing the build I was unable to locate the TC I had purchased initially to refresh the TIM on my 920 so just went with the manufacture pre-applied. I pulled the RAM from my wife's older Sandy Bridge build to cut initial cost on this new build but am looking to either swap out for faster RAM or just add more. Would it be worth swapping/upgrading these here soon for a performance gain and cooling increase?

Current:

Stock Corsair TC under a H100i V2

Corsair Vengeance 1600 8Gb (4Gb x 2)

Upgrade:

GELID GC-Extreme (already purchased, not applied)

Corsair Vengeance 2400 16Gb (8Gb x 2) (not purchased and open to other options)

I will be/do use this for both gaming, and photo/video editing using the Adobe suite and DxO. While no overclocking has been done, yet, I do plan on some play with the numbers, very minor compared to most here though. Thank you for any input and advice!

What motherboard did you have in your old X58 build?  Also, the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 1600mhz CL8 @1.35v ram has been proven to overclock extremely well.  If you manually adjust the settings yourself and don't care about XMP you should be able to hit the same overclock as those Corsair sticks with tighter timings, lower voltage and lower cost.  They come in 4gb and 8gb DIMM capacities.

What motherboard did you have in your old X58 build?  Also, the Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 1600mhz CL8 @1.35v ram has been proven to overclock extremely well.  If you manually adjust the settings yourself and don't care about XMP you should be able to hit the same overclock as those Corsair sticks with tighter timings, lower voltage and lower cost.  They come in 4gb and 8gb DIMM capacities.

The X58 build was/is an Asus Rampage III Formula board.

Edited by Palmdalien