Asus X99-PRO with 5820K - Got to 4.625Ghz stable, Can I get Higher? TIPS NEEDED!

LordX

Hey guys - followed a little vid on basic OC and got to 4.625GHz on water cooling with an Intel 5820k on an ASUS x99-Pro mobo.

I was able to hit 4.7ghz stable with nothing done to the RAM.. but once I switched to the XMP profile, and BCLK jumped to 125Mhz, I was only able to get a 4.625Ghz stable clock. I tried the 38 multiplier to get 4.75Ghz but just couldn't get it to stay stable with the AIDA64 stability test.

Settings:

XMP Profile for RAM @ 3000mhz
BCLK @ 125 (autoed to this after xmp setting)
Multi @ 37 = 125 x 37 = 4.625Ghz
CPU Voltage = 1.3
Ram Voltage = 1.35

Everything else AUTO in the AI Tweaker. I TRIED to boost voltage to both the RAM and the CPU with 38 multi (4.75ghz) - and it just kept failing. Temps looked oooook at this ghz (78-85 max on cores).

I saw some vid showing the system agent voltage being adjusted (this vid was for the x99-deluxe, not pro) - and it was adjusted to 1.02V - my board shows system agent, and it is at 1.17 on AUTO.... so don't know if I should touch it!

However, any tips to push the ghz (and be stable) are welcome - or even advice saying 4.625 is just fine!

I am not disappointed with a 40% overclock, but if I can push it and stay stable, why not?!

Thats a pretty good clock speed at that voltage. The interaction between the memory, cache ratio and core clock speed are well documented and are what is impacting your overall core clock speed of the chip. The higher memory speed is creating your concern and you may have to scale it back to keep that memory speed at the lower CPU clock speed.  The other issues you could be having is that you need to tweak the  VCCSA and VCCIO voltage a bit more to get stable.  You can verify this by reducing the memory speed.

Hey MedievalNerd -  I was able to push the Cache to 4.375Ghz without changing voltage.

So 4.625Ghz cpu, 4.375Ghz cache, with XMP default 3000mhz RAM - with 1.3V Vcore (1.312 according to AIDA64).

I think that I am going to leave this alone for now... the temps are ok (2 hours on fallout 4 with MAX cpu temp just cresting 60c). 89c max with AIDA64 stress test - but only 1 core out of 6 hit this high - mostly hovering in the upper 60's to lower 70's.

AIDA stress test does not hit the CPU and memory controller as hard as Prime 95 or LinX. Its a starting point for testing for me. Once I get it stable in AIDA it goes to LinX and or Prime 95.  LinX is faster but I prefer the long run time of Prime 95 for a longer heat soak to really test the cooling and stability long term.

Hey MedievalNerd -  I was able to push the Cache to 4.375Ghz without changing voltage.

So 4.625Ghz cpu, 4.375Ghz cache, with XMP default 3000mhz RAM - with 1.3V Vcore (1.312 according to AIDA64).

I think that I am going to leave this alone for now... the temps are ok (2 hours on fallout 4 with MAX cpu temp just cresting 60c). 89c max with AIDA64 stress test - but only 1 core out of 6 hit this high - mostly hovering in the upper 60's to lower 70's.

All my cores 0 to 5 are cool, except core 2. That core is always a tad hotter. Weird.

You can always try 1.376 and see if you get can the next multiple. But I'd suggest using that when you are doing heavy lifting, your cpu being able to hold 46 at 1.312 is really good. I'm jealous. :)

Hmm, going to try the strap increase myself. :D Thanks for the idea.

Edited by MedievalNerd