Software overclocking headaches

Hello

I have a 8370E and a 990FX Killer Asrock mobo

I started overclocking using amd over drive and more recently F-stream. Ive done lot of reseach lately and I am ready to tackle a bios based overclock but I believe some of the software overclock values are still present. Fstream has no return to default options which is pretty silly. I am wondering where the software overclock values are stored and how software based overclocking software actually alters your settings. Uninstalling the software had no effect and Ive tried clearing CMOS and returning to the bios defaults

Any help would be great

thanks very much

If the software is gone, the settings are gone.  Uninstalling the software usually accomplishes this...if it doesn't, that's odd.  Usually software-based overclocking doesn't actually alter the BIOS itself, it just applies settings once your OS has loaded.

Did you uninstall AMD Overdrive as well?  I believe that's one of the few suites that actually changes BIOS settings.

Yes they are both uninstalled , I uninstalled and rebooted after each uninstall . before I used the software all my cores would bounce up and down like I think they are suppose to . Now only core freq 0 seems to move around and the rest stay static. I checked my bios , everything looks stock. I've used core temp and cpu-z to come to these conclusions

post-139590-0-36852100-1422843752_thumb.jpg

So core 0 is usually loaded and the others stay idle?  Or core 0 jumps around from the idle speed to your OC speed and the rest stay at the OC speed?

If the former, that's by design.  If the latter, you've got something odd going on. :P

sometimes core zero hits 4.2 like I think its suppose to , but before I used the software  all the other cores would be at 3.3 and turbo higher , now they just sit at 3.6ish and never move, which makes me think there is still OC setting applied . as I say I am just trying to get my set up back to default setting before I try any bios overclocking

If you reset the BIOS you might have disabled turbo core and/or Cool 'n Quiet.  With a full-load run you should see all cores at roughly the base clock of your CPU (3.6 GHz).  In lightly threaded applications you should see a core or two jumping up higher than the base clock up to somewhere between the base and the turbo clock.