something wrong or fake?

s7t12

Friends 

I spotted something strange in VGA game test.

please follow these two links.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_r9_290x_oc/8.htm

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_radeon_hd_7790_2gb_oc/6.htm

As you see settings are same but why in first link HD 7870 gives 35.1 FPS and instead HD 7790 saphire 2GB  gives 36 FPS?

7790 can never beat the 7870 .

Based on what you have pointed out you are comparing two different reviews, with two different testbeds not to mention a big change in the drivers.

One other thing to note on a quick check the 7790 is an OC card, Its been a while since we have looked at the 7790, but at the time of the review those numbers stand.

As of now the the 290X numbers stand, until we due our retests. :)

The other thing you do not take into consideration is that the earlier review was run using Fraps based testing while the 290X review testing is using FCAT and a completely different set of drivers. Outside of the obvious driver optimizations, System change from Z68 to Z87 and running a higher clock speed on the memory and CPU as well as changes to the area we use to run the benchmark you have things that change. Thats why you want to look at the most current reviews that use the newest drivers and testing methodologies.

For the next batch of video card reviews things will once again change as far as settings and how we need to test cards. For instance to accurately test the R290X we have to warm up the card and run the tests after the card heats up due to how the clock speed drops after two/three minutes into a gaming sequence. Its what you know that can make or break your argument. At this point I stand by each of those tests. That being said the new drivers are available from both camps so I will retest again. 

• 3 weeks later...