System upgrade

isq000

Hello

I'am about to upgrade my system to a bit more faster (if i may say so)

So could use the OC comunity advice on it

The CPU ive got now is FX 4100 - would be upgraded to FX 4170

MB ive got now is M68MT - S2 - now this is where the community help is needed most .. witch is the best AM3+ MB ? in price range of 100 to 150 pounds

Can you post a few web sites that you might use for your shopping? Makes it easier to judge prices.

As for the upgrade, the one you are making will give you a speed bump but one that you will only notice in benchmarks. I would try overclocking the 4100 instead, should be able hit the stock 4170 speeds with easy and likely pass them. The motherboard you have is the one limiting factor. You are not going to be able to push the overclock hard. What I would do since the FX 4100 is unlocked, I would push the multiplier up and see how high you can go without changing the voltage. This should put you at or very close to the FX4170 range.

A quick look at Scan and if I was going to get a new motherboard for that system and it will fit a full ATX board I would get the Gigabyte GA-970-UD3 ( awesome board that I have a LOT of experience with) or the GA-990XA-UD3 for the ability to crossfire two cards. If you are a single card user however save the money, going to more expensive boards does not gain you anything, With the 970-UD3 the ONLY thing you lose is the Crossfire option. I have compared this board to an Asus Crosshair V and even the level of overclock was identical.  

For what your wanting to spend I would get the 970 board, buy a solid CPU cooler and overclock. Would actually save money over your planned budget and give you at least the same if not a bigger speed boost.

Edited by ComputerEd

I actually use the GA-970A-UD3 board for my FX-4170 with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler.  I'm happy with the motherboard so far.  Lots of BIOS options and all the components are nicely layed out.

Anyway, it depends on your budget and what you're planning on using it for.  I'm not familiar with the prices outside of the USA, but if you're looking for a small boost without spending much money, I'd agree with ComputerEd's suggestions.  Otherwise, you'll need to tell us what you're using your computer for, your budget, and what website you might be ordering parts from.

Edited by Kiro

For the purchases i would use ebay.co.uk and amazone.co.uk.

- I found the CPU FX4170 for 90 pounds - the cheapest by the time i was looking for it.

- I'am using my PC mostly for gaming ;)

- ive got the CM Hyper 212 CPU cooler and it's the best for the price :) but the reason why i havent tried to overclock yet is i was suggested to not to bcasue of the MB i have atm ( i cant tell y exactly who said that but he said i might even burn the system or so ) cant aford to risk like that.

- I found the CPU FX4170 for 90 pounds - the cheapest by the time i was looking for it.

- ive got the CM Hyper 212 CPU cooler and it's the best for the price :) but the reason why i havent tried to overclock yet is i was suggested to not to bcasue of the MB i have atm ( i cant tell y exactly who said that but he said i might even burn the system or so ) cant aford to risk like that.

Here's the FX-6100 (6-core) for cheaper. I would recommend using Amazon as if you need to return anything you have a single point of contact, anyway, here's the processsor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005UBNKWO/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1355903242&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

That is why I suggested the board I did. The board you have can do some light overclocking but does not have the power infrastructure to handle pushing the CPU hard. The board upgrade I suggested can handle the overclock you can throw at it and with a better cooler should set you up just fine and stay easily in budget.