Follow-up

Some of you may remember this thread where I increased the IOH voltage and tried new drivers to remedy the problem where my GPU doesn't ramp up to the 3D clock speeds.

Well, I can safely say that the problem is not the GPU, because I am now having the exact same issues with the GTX 480 I just put in my system. I will mess around with it a little more tonight when I get home, but for now suffice it to say I've tried just about everything to keep it stable. I say "just about" because the only thing I have not messed with yet is the IOH PCIE voltage in my BIOS. My current overclock is nothing outrageous: 800 core, 1900 memory at stock voltage.

For completeness sake, I tried:

•  
  • Cleanly re-installing the newest drivers
  • Switching from MSI Afterburner to EVGA Precision X for overclocking (Afterburner would not change the core voltage per GPU-Z)
  • Many restarts
  • Increasing IOH voltage to 1.26 from 1.2 (I will go up to 1.3 tonight)
  • Changed from adaptive to "prefer performance" in Nvidia control panel
  • Added my overclock settings to the "3D profile"
  • Backing down the overclock to near stock settings
  • Increasing GPU core voltage

Any words of wisdom before I have at it again tonight? I'm at a loss.

Well, that's a bummer. I thought for sure that you had this problem whipped. Sorry to hear that it's still acting up. You've tried everything I can think of. As an experiment, have you re-ran your tests with the video card in the other x16 pcie slot to see if it exhibits the same symptoms there too?

That's the funny thing wevs, it wouldn't fit in the original slot with my small case and the HDDs in the way so I ended up putting it into the second x16 slot. Theoretically it should be the same, but you never know. I'm looking to get a larger case, so I may move it up to the first slot and see if it does the same thing.

Ran it with increased voltages, no changes. Performed clean driver installation, uninstalled all overclocking tools, rebooted, and it runs stock just fine. Clocks up to 700 mhz when necessary :doh:

Re-installed latest Afterburner, clocked it up to 750mhz/1900mhz no problem (was too excited to confirm stability for more than 5 minutes). Anything over that and it downclocked itself.

So now I'm thinking software, not hardware. Some sort of poor communication between the drivers and overclocking software.

Edit: By turning off voltage control in Afterburner, I am able to get it to stay at the higher clocks. Why would turning on the voltage control be doing this? I am glad I finally isolated the issue though.

Must have something to do with a faulty API call between Afterburner and the nVidia drivers. That's the only thing I can think of.

I'd be curious if it does the same thing using other overclocking tools like nTune or eVGA precision.

That's probably it, I just wish there were something I could do about it. I've tried Precision X and it did the exact same thing. I will have to give nTune a shot tonight and see how it goes.

This is interesting........... line 4 from the revision log on MSI Afterburner version 2.2.0 (2012-04-19);

• Dynamic clock frequency and voltage monitoring is now performed via new NVIDIA Kepler compatible API on branch 295 and newer NVIDIA display drivers