I m building a new gaming pc , so far i ve chosen the following components:

Case; corsair 600T white

Cooler; corsair H100

Psu; CORSAIR PROFESSIONAL SERIES GOLD AX750 750W FULL MODULAR PSU

Cpu; I7 3930K

GPU; MSI gtx 680

SSD; Samsung 830 series 120gb

HDD; 2TB WD caviar black

So far so good but im stuck now in which motherboard and ram should i go with. I m thinking about ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 Intel X79.

It be really helpful if u could evaluate these specs and help me with choosing ram.

Also will this psu be enough for the system after i oc ?

PS; another question :evilgrin: A friend of mine has a 2600k and a gigabyte Z68 with pci e 2.0 motherboard.Will he have any problems upgrading his gpu to a GTX 680 pci e 3.0 ?Hes really confused because theres some talk on various forums about bottleneck issues.Hes not interested in SLI.

Thanks in advance.

You're fine with the power supply that you've chosen.

Regarding RAM - how much capacity are you shooting for and what's your budget? Do you plan on running your memory at clocks higher than DDR3 1600Mhz?

Regarding Motherboard - are there particular reasons you are already leaning towards the Rampage IV Formula?

For your friend........ PCIe 3.0 graphic cards are backwards compatible, so if he wants to get the GTX 680 he can go for it. What exact Gigabyte motherboard is he currently running?

Edited by wevsspot

About ram capacity im thinking 16gb most likely higher than 1600mhz.

About mobo just a bit of research that i did i ended up with this one but im open with any suggestion.

Money is not an issue on anything.

About my friend his mobo is a gigabyte z68x-ud3p-b3.

Thanks for the additional information. Can you provide names or links to the stores you'll be purchasing from? That will help us recommend something that is actually available in your local market.

I know you say money is no object but if this is a gaming machine, buying a 3930K is well... (i hate to word it like this, but)... a serious waste of money. CPUs just don't matter as much these days. In practically every game I seen benchmarked the results are practically the same whether you are buying a 2500k or a 3930k. If you follow this article you will see an MMO benchmark (WOW) and at most you will see a difference of 1-3 FPS. They even OC the 3930k to 4.5GHz - the OC actually hurt performance in some tests.

OCC - 3770k but gives you an idea, the OCC review actually has the most variation compared to other reviews

Tom's Hardware - Benchmarks

Tweak Town - Multiple OCs

Your call though - we'll help you whichever you pick but it seems wrong for me to not mention it.

About ram capacity im thinking 16gb most likely higher than 1600mhz.

About mobo just a bit of research that i did i ended up with this one but im open with any suggestion.

Money is not an issue on anything.

About my friend his mobo is a gigabyte z68x-ud3p-b3.

Most gaming rigs only need 4GB. Most of us pick 8GB simply because the jump from 4GB to 8GB is cheap. The jump to 16GB is more significant. Thing is, extra RAM doesn't help. So unless you will spend a lot of time on Photoshop, which eats ram like crazy, you won't see any value from 16GB. Higher speed RAM is kind of insignificant as well. It may not be crazy if you are going for a 5+GHz OC, but i don't many running 5GHz 24/7 ...not to mention with as hot Ivy Bridge runs I sure wouldn't.

Your friend's motherboard doesn't support PCI-E 3.0 so that is the only thing holding him back there. Sandy will run PCI-E 3.0 as there are Z68 boards out there (labeled "GEN 3") that support it, but in theory only IB can take full advantage of PCI-E 3.0. The good news for him is PCI-E 2.0 hasn't been maxed out yet. So even if had 3 GTX 680s in SLI he would not suffer one bit.

As far as motherboards go, if you got the money I will always lean towards an ASUS motherboard. I like their layout, they use good quality materials, they don't crowd the PCI-E lanes like MSI, most people seem to have good luck with their customer service, their BIOS layout is nice (especially the ROG line) and most seem to have good luck with their products. After ASUS I would go Gigabyte.

Thanks for the additional information. Can you provide names or links to the stores you'll be purchasing from? That will help us recommend something that is actually available in your local market.

The store i ll buy from has most likely everything.

@Fogel I know this cpu is "too much" for a gaming system but the purpose of the pc is not only gaming. I ll be using autocad and some photoshop.

sorry for the late reply.

Edited by Daemonarch

Since you'll be doing Autocad and Photoshop work on your new build, disregard any advice to use less than 16Gb of RAM. Autocad and PS both love RAM, the more the better. If you're not going to be doing any memory overclocking, then a good kit of DDR3 1600Mhz memory (4x4Gb) would be ideal. If you can find this memory similarly priced in your area it is a great kit at a bargain price;

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226272

If that idea falls through, just get any good 16Gb kit of DDR3 1600Mhz memory. There is a lot of brand loyalty when it comes to memory - I'll admit that I'm a big G.Skill and Mushkin user. However, anything from Corsair, Patriot, A-Data etc. would work just fine. For the most part all the memory mfgs. are buying the same ICs for their midrange memory kits, the only difference in the kits being the brand name, maybe some tweaks to the pcb, or better/worse binning, or better/worse quality, better/worse warranty or customer service.

Bottom line, pick the kit that offers the best capacity, timings, warranty and service for the price.

On the subject of the motherboard, I can't really be objective on this one. I've owned Asus boards in the past. Some were dandies, others were duds. But for the most part all of them carried the price premium of the Asus brand name. This is an area where I just recommend that folks compare features, reviews, warranty, service, and especially price to pick the best board for THEM. It is a very personal decision. You may have a bunch of Asus die hards that are going to hit your thread now and proclaim that the board you're considering is the best board on the planet. You may have others that will hit your thread with horror stories of their latest or last Asus m/b purchase.

My credo is price to performance ratio and price to feature set ratio.

And honestly, if I were going to spring for a new X79 board now I'd probably give the ASRock X79 Extreme6 a chance just based on price, features and user reviews;

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157289

Use the money you save on the motherboard to buy yourself a 120 or 128Gb SSD for your operating system and a few of your most critical / important games or apps.

Edited by wevsspot