My new Server/Workstation

Il_napoletano

OK...since my G5 mod project got called off for a while...we decided to get a new case to house one of my boards.

After looking around we finally decided on the Zalman 9 Plus...which was surprisingly well built for the price...

So the spec:

Zalman Z9 Plus

MSI K9ND Speedster wa6 w/modified bios chip (for quad core support)

2x AMD Opereton 8354 2.2Ghz (quad cores)

1x Artic Freezer 64 Pro & 1x Generic AMD cooler (but another Artic Freezer 64 Pro in the mail)

Kingwin Lazer 1000w Gold

40GB segate IDE (for system)

5x 500GB in RAID 5

2106212_orig.jpg

6576793_orig.jpg

Doesn't the 40GB IDE drive slow the system down? I have a bunch of old IDE drives (40, 80, 120, 200) and they're all showing their age in terms of performance, but the 40GB is especially slow... I guess it doesn't matter if the server's got enough RAM to cache most stuff in RAM, but man, I can't stand how slow a system runs on IDE anymore (in fact, all my systems run SATA SSD as OS drives now)...

Otherwise, looks like a cool build. How are the 3.5" HDD bays? Do the drives use clip on rails or cheese-head screws to slide in? Is the lower 120mm fan a feature of the case or is that an addition?

Doesn't the 40GB IDE drive slow the system down? I have a bunch of old IDE drives (40, 80, 120, 200) and they're all showing their age in terms of performance, but the 40GB is especially slow... I guess it doesn't matter if the server's got enough RAM to cache most stuff in RAM, but man, I can't stand how slow a system runs on IDE anymore (in fact, all my systems run SATA SSD as OS drives now)...

Otherwise, looks like a cool build. How are the 3.5" HDD bays? Do the drives use clip on rails or cheese-head screws to slide in? Is the lower 120mm fan a feature of the case or is that an addition?

the 40GB is there just for now until we figure out what we want to do with the it...and free up a sata bay :D...as I also can recognize the difference from my raptor as well...but probably not as big difference as a SSD(which I'm saving up for)

the drives have 4x screws with big rubber washers that go it to the guides and lock..so you don't get viberation

and the bottom 120mm fan is an addition that works in unison with the door-mounted 120mm fan to blow on the NB while we're waiting to get a "Thermalright HR-05"...

Awesome man, it looks like it runs a lot quieter than my main rig... the "dambusters" drone can be heard in the lounge below, lol

I'd recommend the HR-05 IFX (or HR-05 SLI IFX) if you haven't ordered it already, for the 80mm fan mount option (either 25mm or 18mm (?) thick), which gives you more fan options and better cooling / quieter.

I used to use them a lot (I think I have 3 or 4 of them!), they're brilliant :)

Awesome man, it looks like it runs a lot quieter than my main rig... the "dambusters" drone can be heard in the lounge below, lol

I'd recommend the HR-05 IFX (or HR-05 SLI IFX) if you haven't ordered it already, for the 80mm fan mount option (either 25mm or 18mm (?) thick), which gives you more fan options and better cooling / quieter.

I used to use them a lot (I think I have 3 or 4 of them!), they're brilliant :)

we're gonna get the HR-05 SLI....oh and it's for the SB not the NB...my bad...it gets so hot it can peel skin if you don't point a fan on it :D

Just to clarify:

HR-05 SLI = 70mm fan

HR-05 SLI IFX = 80mm fan

If you've got enough space and can find the IFX version, I would recommend it over the non-IFX version :)

Just to clarify:

HR-05 SLI = 70mm fan

HR-05 SLI IFX = 80mm fan

If you've got enough space and can find the IFX version, I would recommend it over the non-IFX version :)

I was supposed to write the HR-05 SLI IFX...but I must of accidently rubbed it out :D

Guest ajmatson

Nice server build. I recently re-did my ESXi server with a new SuperMicro board and a Xeon E3-1230 which screams :)