Bios Temperature vs control panel temps. Msi

JoJoOx2

I just checked the screenshot, I'm still using an i7 420 @ 4.2Ghz so I may be off on the typical voltages here. Until corrected here's my response.

:whoa: 1.8v for the PLL? and the CPU voltage is 1.35? That would be high on my i7 much less a newer chip, I'm sure you can get away with a stable overclock with lower voltages but I'm putting my money on that being the source of your temperatures.

Ok so what would be ur suggestion for the pll voltage and cpu voltage to start out with. i don't do much Overclocking Im working my way up 2 it. Just wanna get this think stable for now.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems people can get around 4.8-5Ghz at CPU V @ 1.5 using air cooling. You may be in the ballpark tempature-wise though, I checked a review of the i7-2600k they did here at occ and look at their temps for that running 4.6 Ghz @ 1.38v, their minimum (I assume that includes idle) was sitting ~70 C.

If you like the speed at which you have your overclock, just start incrementally lowering the voltage until you start getting problems (either fails a stress test or doesn't boot ;) ), then keep it just above that point.

You don't have much to worry about from lowering your voltages down from where the auto-overclock put them. If you don't mind the temps you could always increase the multiplier though and see how high you can get that.

disclaimer: No two CPUs are alike, which is half the fun in seeing how much you can fine tune your settings to your processor. These are generalizations based on other's I7-2700 overclocks which should give you a workable starting point.

So...quick (really quick) research shows for the i7-2700 if you want

4.2 GHz you'll be looking at a core voltage of ~1.25 ,

4.5GHz you'll probably need to bump it to ~1.285-1.3 volts.

And when you need a spaceheater, you could push it up to 1.4v and see if you can hit 5GHz.

disclaimer: No two CPUs are alike, which is half the fun in seeing how much you can fine tune your settings to your processor. These are generalizations based on other's I7-2700 overclocks which should give you a workable starting point.

So...quick (really quick) research shows for the i7-2700 if you want

4.2 GHz you'll be looking at a core voltage of ~1.25 ,

4.5GHz you'll probably need to bump it to ~1.285-1.3 volts.

And when you need a spaceheater, you could push it up to 1.4v and see if you can hit 5GHz.

ok thank you for the info. I got it to 4.5 at 1.285 stable and running cooler max load temps at 68c

I also put the pll voltage to 1.65.

Its running cooler and faster. I like.

Glad you got your lower temps and nice job getting right up to 5Ghz :thumbsup: . Next I'd suggest working on your memory settings. If your playing games, it has the potential to noticeably increase framerates. I found it interesting that performance-wise in games, that generally the latency settings are larger contributers to performance than the clock speed of the memory, so going from 9-9-9-9 timings to 6-6-6-6 was more better than going from 1600 to 2100. I may be leading you on a goose chase though, I thought I remember reading somewhere the newer chips integrated memory controllers had their clocks locked to another part oft he chip

Glad you got your lower temps and nice job getting right up to 5Ghz :thumbsup: . Next I'd suggest working on your memory settings. If your playing games, it has the potential to noticeably increase framerates. I found it interesting that performance-wise in games, that generally the latency settings are larger contributes to performance than the clock speed of the memory, so going from 9-9-9-9 timings to 6-6-6-6 was more better than going from 1600 to 2100. I may be leading you on a goose chase though, I thought I remember reading somewhere the newer chips integrated memory controllers had their clocks locked to another part oft he chip

I've been doing some research on how to oc ram cause i had no clue i have a basic idea. My ram is 12800 1600mhz corsair vengeance times are 9-9-9-24 i put t he volts at 1.65 and its was original defaulted at 1333mhz and volts at 1.5 i still don't understand how i should adjust the timings. actually i raised my base clock of my cpu voltage and its put the it up to 1657mhz with 103.3 base cpu clock. Could you are someone explain in layman's terms how i would go about ocing my memory.

Should i keep my ram link or unlink?

Edited by JoJoOx2