i5-2500K OC Questions

Foruman

Alright, I can live with that. They are already pretty fast as it is, and only costed me $40 a pair on Amazon, so I'm satisfied! I'm not into OCing RAM anyways...not familiar with all the timings and stuff.

Thanks Waco, for all the info that you've provided! This thread has certainly been very helpful.

One last thing that is still a bit unclear. When the system idles, the frequency and voltage never decreases. I know that it's supposed to be 1.6GHz @ 1.0v when idling, but my computer is always 4.5GHz @ 1.336v. Is there some setting I need to change to enable this, or does it nor matter? Does it make a big difference if it downclocks and lowers voltage or not?

Edited by Foruman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave your CPU ratio on the stock setting (x34) and only bring up the turbo ratio to x45. That should keep speedstep enabled. :)

Hmm, on my motherboard, I am unable to do this. It only allows me to change the targeted frequency by changing the multiplier. I don't see an option to keep the stock clock and only change the turbo ratio?

And also, for OCing, is it better to leave the CPU at one frequency and voltage, or is it better to have it idle at 1.6GHz and 1.0v rather than 4.5GHz at 1.336v? The temps don't change much, only like ~10C. I mean, this constant changing of frequencies and voltage for when the CPU is idle and under load won't damage the CPU, right? Since Intel designed it this way...sorry, I'm fairly new to OCing, and don't want to break anything I can't afford another one of.

Edited by Foruman

Hmm, on my motherboard, I am unable to do this. It only allows me to change the targeted frequency by changing the multiplier. I don't see an option to keep the stock clock and only change the turbo ratio?

And also, for OCing, is it better to leave the CPU at one frequency and voltage, or is it better to have it idle at 1.6GHz and 1.0v rather than 4.5GHz at 1.336v? The temps don't change much, only like ~10C. I mean, this constant changing of frequencies and voltage for when the CPU is idle and under load won't damage the CPU, right? Since Intel designed it this way...sorry, I'm fairly new to OCing, and don't want to break anything I can't afford another one of.

Letting it ramp up is better for 24/7 OC. Another option FYI would be that once you have your BIOS set correctly would be to save the BIOS under a profile. I am unsure if your particular BIOS has OC profiles, but it would allow you to switch back and forth between your OC and stock to conserve life span on your CPU.

Looking at your BIOS options you should be able to set the Turbo ratio to 45 while leaving your CPU multiplier at 34. It may not show the full speed in the BIOS but it should behave properly once in the OS.

Looking at your BIOS options you should be able to set the Turbo ratio to 45 while leaving your CPU multiplier at 34. It may not show the full speed in the BIOS but it should behave properly once in the OS.

I think I see them, but I have a new question now regarding this downclocking and downvolting business. Please see my reply to the other post below.

Letting it ramp up is better for 24/7 OC. Another option FYI would be that once you have your BIOS set correctly would be to save the BIOS under a profile. I am unsure if your particular BIOS has OC profiles, but it would allow you to switch back and forth between your OC and stock to conserve life span on your CPU.

Alright. My only main concerns now with using C1E is that it will cause the CPU to change its frequency and voltage when idle or under load (this is what I asked about in the first place to see how to make the CPU downclock and downvolt when idle, so now I know how). Will this cause any instability in the system, or worse, shorten the lifespan of the CPU? I've read on some forums that keeping the frequency and voltage consistent is good for the CPU, whereas others say that Sandy Bridge is really good at saving energy by downclocking and downvolting when they are not needed, and won't hinder the CPU nor its OCing ability. I'm not sure which is true now...but based on what you said, it is safe to let it downclock and downvolt?

For example, if I open iTunes or another program that takes longer than normal to open, then I see that the voltage spikes from 1.0v to 1.3v for one sec, and the frequency goes from 1.6GHz to 4.5GHz in that moment as well. But this is only happening for one second or less, and I'm afraid that these little bursts of change will damage the CPU, since I am not really at one clock/voltage or another all the time. Now if only it clocks/volts up when I play my games, then I have no worries.

I think I see them, but I have a new question now regarding this downclocking and downvolting business. Please see my reply to the other post below.

Alright. My only main concerns now with using C1E is that it will cause the CPU to change its frequency and voltage when idle or under load (this is what I asked about in the first place to see how to make the CPU downclock and downvolt when idle, so now I know how). Will this cause any instability in the system, or worse, shorten the lifespan of the CPU? I've read on some forums that keeping the frequency and voltage consistent is good for the CPU, whereas others say that Sandy Bridge is really good at saving energy by downclocking and downvolting when they are not needed, and won't hinder the CPU nor its OCing ability. I'm not sure which is true now...but based on what you said, it is safe to let it downclock and downvolt?

For example, if I open iTunes or another program that takes longer than normal to open, then I see that the voltage spikes from 1.0v to 1.3v for one sec, and the frequency goes from 1.6GHz to 4.5GHz in that moment as well. But this is only happening for one second or less, and I'm afraid that these little bursts of change will damage the CPU, since I am not really at one clock/voltage or another all the time. Now if only it clocks/volts up when I play my games, then I have no worries.

Can anyone advise regarding these settings/features?

Alright. My only main concerns now with using C1E is that it will cause the CPU to change its frequency and voltage when idle or under load (this is what I asked about in the first place to see how to make the CPU downclock and downvolt when idle, so now I know how).

This is 100% safe and is how the CPU works when running completely stock. Do you think Intel would implement this if it had any chance of harming the CPU? :P