Overclocking a Core 2 Duo E7400

Barreto

Hey guys, I've been learning recently about overclocking.

Decided to overclock my old E7400... XD

Motherboard is an ASUS P5KPL/1600, RAM 4GB DDR2 800MHz.

The farthest I could push was to 342MHz FSB, with a 10.5 multiplier. Had to set MCH Chipset voltage to 1.40v, CPU vCore to 1.298v (default is 1.248v) and memory voltage to 1.95v (default is 1.85v) to get this FSB.

I'd like to push this old CPU to 4.0GHz, but I can't get past 3.59GHz.

No need to worry about temperatures, I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 with 3 working fans and a Hyper 212+ on top of my CPU. =D

Hints, tips? I honestly don't know what to do from this point on.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates here. With 342MHz bus I got 2 BSODs. Lowered back to 330MHz because it seems to run stable like this.

Set back MCH Chipset voltage to auto and lowered memory voltage to 1.9v.

Don't know what else to do... Help here!

Which specs do you mean?

I'm leaving my ram as 800MHz 1.9v, I think the default latency is 5-6-6-15.

Does your RAM actually run unlinked? If not, you'll have to keep track of the real memory frequency since it's dependent upon the FSB.

I'm pretty sure that setting 800 MHz for 266 FSB pushes you to 1031 MHz for your RAM at 342 FSB. It's not surprising that you're seeing errors with it. I'd set them at the 533 MHz ratio which should keep them under 800 MHz all the way up to 400 FSB.

Does your RAM actually run unlinked? If not, you'll have to keep track of the real memory frequency since it's dependent upon the FSB.

I'm pretty sure that setting 800 MHz for 266 FSB pushes you to 1031 MHz for your RAM at 342 FSB. It's not surprising that you're seeing errors with it. I'd set them at the 533 MHz ratio which should keep them under 800 MHz all the way up to 400 FSB.

Ah! So it's all about RAM frequency? How can I find out the clock of the memory? I mean... You just said that with a 342 FSB my ram was running at 1031MHz, so I started wondering: "How the hell did he determine that?" XD

What if I set the memory to 667? How far can I push the FSB?

EDIT: What about "RAM running unlinked"? Can you explain it to me?

Seems to me you could push the voltage a bit more too. Probably something just under 1.5 but dont listen to me.

The motherboard BIOS won't let me go beyond 1.398v. Default is 1.248v and I can give +50mv increases only (+0.05v, +0.10v, +0.15v).

I'm gonna try what Waco just said about RAM clock with 1.298 CPU core voltage.

Edited by Barreto

Ah! So it's all about RAM frequency? How can I find out the clock of the memory? I mean... You just said that with a 342 FSB my ram was running at 1031MHz, so I started wondering: "How the hell did he determine that?" XD

What if I set the memory to 667? How far can I push the FSB?

EDIT: What about "RAM running unlinked"? Can you explain it to me?

I calculated it like this:

Assuming your stock FSB is 266 (which it is) the following RAM settings get you these frequencies:

800 MHz = 266 * 3

667 MHZ = 266 * 2.5

533 MHz = 266 * 2

So when you crank your FSB up, those multipliers don't change. If you want to hit 400 FSB you need to use your 533 MHz memory multiplier because 400 FSB * 2 = 800 MHz. This isn't actually how it's calculated on your board (since the FSB is technically quad-pumped) but the math works out the same way.

If you set it to 667 you can run up to ~320 FSB before running your RAM over spec.

Running your RAM unlinked allows it to run at a set frequency regardless of what FSB you have chosen but only certain (nvidia, I think) chipsets can do it.

If I made a stupid mistake here someone please correct me. :P

Edited by Waco

I calculated it like this:

Assuming your stock FSB is 266 (which it is) the following RAM settings get you these frequencies:

800 MHz = 266 * 3

667 MHZ = 266 * 2.5

533 MHz = 266 * 2

So when you crank your FSB up, those multipliers don't change. If you want to hit 400 FSB you need to use your 533 MHz memory multiplier because 400 FSB * 2 = 800 MHz. This isn't actually how it's calculated on your board (since the FSB is technically quad-pumped) but the math works out the same way.

If you set it to 667 you can run up to ~320 FSB before running your RAM over spec.

Running your RAM unlinked allows it to run at a set frequency regardless of what FSB you have chosen but only certain (nvidia, I think) chipsets can do it.

If I made a stupid mistake here someone please correct me. :P

Hmm... I got it! As soon as I arrive home, I'm trying the new settings.

As for the "linked RAM", I think my motherboard doesn't have this option. Is it the ratio between FSB and memory clock? Like 1:1, 2:3, 5:4? If so, my mobo really doesn't have the option to change this.

EDIT: One more thing. What's the function of the multiplier values? I can set it between 6 and 10.5, and I'm always using 10.5 regardless of what FSB I set.

Edited by Barreto

As for the "linked RAM", I think my motherboard doesn't have this option. Is it the ratio between FSB and memory clock? Like 1:1, 2:3, 5:4? If so, my mobo really doesn't have the option to change this.

You should have a setting somewhere related to the RAM clock. It may not tell you the ratio specifically, and if it doesn't, it's generally based off of the rated FSB of your CPU.

You should have a setting somewhere related to the RAM clock. It may not tell you the ratio specifically, and if it doesn't, it's generally based off of the rated FSB of your CPU.

Yeah, the RAM clock can be set in the BIOS. 533, 667 or 800. The ratio... I forgot the ratio, gotta open CPU-Z when I get home.

What about the multiplier?

What about the multiplier?

You should probably start by turning it down to 6 to test whether or not your CPU and mobo can do 400 FSB. Once you get 400 FSB stable, you can start cranking the multiplier back up, checking stability and raising voltages if needed along the way.