System Upgrade

gtrdude485

Hey everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my system, as its been a while and the fan on my nForce chipset is dying. My current build is in my signature. As you can probably guess, I have not used this rig for gaming in quite some time and now I mainly use it as a HTPC (no room for a desk in my current living situation). I plan on keeping everything except the CPU/mobo/RAM (I don't think I need to upgrade my video card based on what I'm using it for). Currently running win XP, but will upgrade to win 7 with the new system.

I have always been an AMD guy, but am open to and Intel build if the price/performance point is better. I purchased the following combo for my brother last Christmas for a system i built him and was curious if this is still a good option for me:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Try and detach the FAN and put a couple drops of oil rear of the FAN. There should be a hole on the bottom of FAN. Should clear it right up. Not a solution though. Make sure you re cover the bearing hole when done.

As for your future build it really doesn't matter. Todays processors are more than enough power for gaming. You will not know that difference unless you do graphical or autocad design. Its making sure mobo and ram are compatible to achive the best OC'ing.

Try and detach the FAN and put a couple drops of oil rear of the FAN. There should be a hole on the bottom of FAN. Should clear it right up. Not a solution though. Make sure you re cover the bearing hole when done.

As for your future build it really doesn't matter. Todays processors are more than enough power for gaming. You will not know that difference unless you do graphical or autocad design. Its making sure mobo and ram are compatible to achive the best OC'ing.

Thanks for the advice. This is what I have in mind as of now... I'm going to wait to purchase until black Friday for any deals, but anything I should be concerned with here?

ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)