C2D / 780i suddenly unstable after 2 years?

90sgamer

Hey Guys!

I am wondering if I could get a little advice. My older secondary computer suddenly decided to give me a OC warning today at boot up. Here are my specs:

•  
  • Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6Ghz (Stock voltages, Max (prime95) Load Temp 58C on core 0 and 51C on core 1 - the thermal paste might be uneven or something, but it never gets above that, which I am fine with)
  • XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 Heatsink & OCZ Freeze
  • XFX 780i SLI Motherboard, Latest BIOS and auto voltages. (A long while ago I did the "pencil mod" where I connected two points with pencil lead to remove Vdroop. It worked great at the time. Looking in CPUz my core voltage is 1.336 under load.)
  • 4GB 1000Mhz DDR2 ram at default timings/voltages/clocks
  • 9800GTX
  • Antec 200
  • OCZ 600W PSU

Its been great with NO problems whatsoever for YEARS! However, today I got an OC warning "Warning system is now in safe mode. Please reset CPU or Memory frequency in CMOS setup" on boot which you would get if your OC was so high, it couldn't even boot windows! :(

The only possible explanation I can come up with aside from physical degradation of the CPU is this: when I went to boot it up, and hit the power button on my case, but released too fast so it didn't boot fully, I didn't hear if it actually did come on momentarily because its right next to my noisy i7 machine. I then hit the power button again and held it long enough so it actually booted up, and then was greet with that error message. I rebooted again and it booted up fine. I rebooted a few more times, and I haven't seen the error message again. I've been running prime95 for 20min, so far so good.

Was that some kind of glitch? I hardly ever stress this machine, I use it mainly for classic gaming with a Windows XP partition, so its possible that some instability has been creeping in without my notice.

What do you guys think?

Thanks guys!

I will add that I have had the machine for almost 4 years now, and for the first few years, I experimented with running at 4Ghz, 3.8Ghz, stock speeds, etc, before settling on stock voltages and 3.6Ghz clocks around 2 years ago. At that it was 12 hour Prime 95 rock solid stable, and never gave me a problem until today.

Cold-boot issues aren't all that strange. If it went away after a reboot I wouldn't even worry about it. :)

Yeah, I assume its probably nothing, and Prime95 is still going strong. I am way too paranoid about my hardware haha. Thanks Waco. I have a lot of experience with OCing and building computers etc, but I have a slight OCD problem with such error messages lol

:lol: Yeah I'm kinda the same way - I've just learned what kind of things I can ignore safely. Cold boot issues are somewhat annoying but if it's stable in Windows I just ignore them. My current board will never boot the first time. :P