AMD FX series overclocking problems

FETKun

Hi, I have some problems with some new hardware I recently purchased and was hoping for some help.

My specs:

AMDFX 8120 Eight core @ 3.1Ghz w/ COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO fan and heatsink

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

ASUS Crosshair Formula V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347

I read good things about the hardware above, and took the plunge on it in hopes of overclocking it easily into the 4+Ghz range. Initially thing went pretty good, and I had it sitting at 4.2Ghz stable. Today, I got on my computer and noticed at boot up it was registering at stock 3.1Ghz. I checked the settings in the ASUS suite and my settings were still good. So I decided to reset my BIOS to default and start clean. I put things back to the way I wanted, but I notice in the ASUS suite, my clock speed keeps changing... not only that, Windows 7 lists my CPU at the stock 3.1Ghz. Even when I don't overclock it and I leave things stock settings, it changes from the 3.1Ghz, down to 1.4Ghz.

I attached an example to this thread of what I see when the clock changes... top is incorrect reading it switches to, bottom is what I'd like it to stay at...

Maybe there is some setting I'm missing? Something wrong with the hardware? Maybe I'm not applying correct voltage to my CPU and RAM etc.? Since this problem began, I've been able to uncover some bad stuff about the new AMD FX line, and I'd be so pissed if I have to return this new setup.

Any help is appreciated!

post-79352-0-45174600-1320093083_thumb.png

post-79352-0-95120400-1320094420_thumb.png

Edited by FETKun

Thanks for the quick responses!

I wish it was that simple, but the cool n' quiet is already disabled.

I also added the DIGI+ VRM to my original post, just in case it is of any relevance.

OK, there is also a power save feature, turn that off. Along with any other power save/cool feature.

Edited by Black6464

OK, there is also a power save feature, turn that off. Along with any other power save/cool feature.

Alright, I went through the BIOS line by line, checking each setting. Anything power saving related is already disabled.

I'm not familiar with that... is it in the ASUS suite, or the bios?

Thanks.

To be honest I have no idea. :lol: It's in there somewhere and it might be named slightly differently. AMD APM maybe? It was mentioned in a few tips I got from multiple people who thought I had an ASUS board.

To be honest I have no idea. :lol: It's in there somewhere and it might be named slightly differently. AMD APM maybe? It was mentioned in a few tips I got from multiple people who thought I had an ASUS board.

I'll keep looking, thanks.

It's just odd, that all of a sudden the ASUS suite monitor is showing my FSB and multiplier flucuating randomly.

Looks like 3.1 GHz is the default speed of the CPU, so, doesn't sounds like there is anything wrong with the voltage...

Is it possible there is a softare setting somewhere that ask the system to go back to the default setting once you boot into Windows?

Maybe it's a ASUS' software suit "feature" somewhere...

Looks like you still able to boot back to 4.3 in OS.

Looks like 3.1 GHz is the default speed of the CPU, so, doesn't sounds like there is anything wrong with the voltage...

Is it possible there is a softare setting somewhere that ask the system to go back to the default setting once you boot into Windows?

Maybe it's a ASUS' software suit "feature" somewhere...

Looks like you still able to boot back to 4.3 in OS.

Not sure, that's what I'm searching for... for my FSB and multiplier numbers to keep changing randomly, I'd suspect power management related settings to be the root cause, like the others have speculated at. But I still cannot find anything in the BIOS, ASUS suite, or even Windows 7's power management settings that could be the problem.