Thoughts on H100 with these fans.

Bought to purchase the H100 from Corsair to replace my Noctua DH-14 and i was thinking about these fans COUGAR CF-V12HP, 4 in a push pull config in my HAF 932 case. Rad will go on the top underneath, not many reviews on the egg about these but they are all positive. I want to attain some really good temps with low noise and these seem to be it. Should i use the provided TIM on the block or change? and im also lapping the i7 920. your thoughts please?

thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

Bought to purchase the H100 from Corsair to replace my Noctua DH-14 and i was thinking about these fans COUGAR CF-V12HP, 4 in a push pull config in my HAF 932 case. Rad will go on the top underneath, not many reviews on the egg about these but they are all positive. I want to attain some really good temps with low noise and these seem to be it. Should i use the provided TIM on the block or change? and im also lapping the i7 920. your thoughts please?

thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

They should perform quite well they have a relatively high air pressure and very decent air flow.

Also the way in which it has been designed is similar to some of the noctura fans in regards to noise reduction. Finally the construction of the fan lends itself to creating a vortex with the way air is channelled into and through the blades. So not only will it make a decent rad fan but it should also perform well as a case fan replacement. The rubber mounts are another bonus reducing vibration from fan to case/rad.

Nothing wrong with stock TIM you could replace it if you want but in reality it/s not going to make it perform much different. As to lapping be sure of what you are doing and do it right would love some pics when this is all done.

They should perform quite well they have a relatively high air pressure and very decent air flow.

Also the way in which it has been designed is similar to some of the noctura fans in regards to noise reduction. Finally the construction of the fan lends itself to creating a vortex with the way air is channelled into and through the blades. So not only will it make a decent rad fan but it should also perform well as a case fan replacement. The rubber mounts are another bonus reducing vibration from fan to case/rad.

Nothing wrong with stock TIM you could replace it if you want but in reality it/s not going to make it perform much different. As to lapping be sure of what you are doing and do it right would love some pics when this is all done.

Thanks Stoner, I will be purchasing this all tonight. Once i get it in i will lap the cpu and take pics of my install:)

• 2 weeks later...

this is a pic at idle at an OC of 4.5ghz with the Noctua D14. Ive been running at 4.5 for a year now on this and no issues but prime 95 tops out at 90 after a couple mins lol. Gaming and everything runs just fine for hours but i think the temps are high bc of the TC i used and didnt apply it just right or too much not sure. im running at a vcore of 1.34v and this chip clocks down to 4.2 on bootup and during a 3d mark test for some reason not sure..think i might have to fine tune the bios a bit.

had to delete the other pics to post this one? anyway here it is.

post-78984-0-04650400-1318304103_thumb.jpg

post-78984-0-25221000-1318304227_thumb.jpg

Edited by ~*Geekdom*~

NICE OC on the 920. I have only been able to push mine to 4.2 and I went as far as 1.42 on the Vcore (got pissed off and figured I'd just get a 930 if it failed :O ). I use a H50 with 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze's in push pull. It can sound like a minature hairdryer if I crank up the fan controller :D Who needs silence when I have a headset! Hahahaha!

Consider checking out Hardware Secret's Best Way To Apply Thermal Grease article. I found the article good with straightforward logic and testing for the best method. They also do a TIM compound roundup, and if your going to put the effort into lapping the cooler and processor, then I would assume you would want the top TIM. For the most part they're all within 4o C of each other, but why diminish your efforts for a small bit of the time/money your putting into this.

Oh, and the TIM I used was G751 Shin-Etsu and it was one of if not the best TIM 2 years ago, don't know where it stands now, but it has good reviews when used along with lapping the surfaces. I missapplied it the first time (my fault being way TOO conservative) and the spread was poor over one core which was really obvious between the different core temps.