crossfire xfx hd 6870 black + oc power usage

The right way to go is a new power supply with a single +12V rail and the TX750V2 would be ideal.

Because the graphics cards are 150W each that leaves 300W for everything else (a bit simplistic but basically true) which should be more than enough and your OCZ should be OK it's just the use of adapters, the danger of hitting a current limit on one of the 12V rails and any overclocking.

My thoughts were that the 12V1 rail is difficult to tap into so use a 4 pin peripheral to 6 pin PCI-E adapter for one extra connector which will use 12V3 and split the existing 6 pin PCI-E connector, with an adapter, into two 6 pin PCI-E. That then means powering one card from the 6 pin PCI-E which is split and the other from the existing 6+2 pin PCI-E connector and 4 pin peripheral to 6 pin PCI-E adapter. I think I mentioned the HD6870 is rated at only 150W so that second 6 pin PCI-E connector must only just be needed and at the end of the day 150W is a figure you'll rarely if ever hit.

Buy yourself a Kill-A-Watt, they are always handy, and measure the total draw of your system just to put your mind at rest.

Ok thanks for all the knowledge and support :)

I think i'd rather not risk anything and get myself a new psu.

You say the TX750V2 would be ideal. Could i not better get a 850-1000w psu

for future use also. Or do you need to swap with each new pc anyways?

If so what would you recommend?

It all boils down to how much do you want to spend, the final hardware configuration and what the PC will be doing for the majority of the time?

My personal favourite at the moment is the Seasonic X-Series but they ain't cheap.

It all boils down to how much do you want to spend, the final hardware configuration and what the PC will be doing for the majority of the time?

My personal favourite at the moment is the Seasonic X-Series but they ain't cheap.

I see. Yes those arent cheap at all :P

I was thinking around 90 euro's. Preferably at Alternate (a store in my country) as i will be ordering the XFX hd8670 there again.

Would you mind looking at the available (green status) products and telling me what the best choice there would be?

http://www.alternate.nl/html/categoryListing.html?cat1=135&cat2=347&cat3=0&bfbox=1&&tn=HARDWARE&l1=Voedingen&l2=meer+dan+600+Watt&

If you don't feel like it i understand but it would be a big help as i'm dying to get this system ready for Deus Ex :D

Great power supply at a good price so you won't regret it. It isn't modular so if you're prepared to pay a little extra then the new Corsair TX750M with modular cables at E102.90 isn't much more.

I can see the 750TXV2 has 4x pci-e 6+2 pins and the M has 2x pci-e 6 pins and 2x 6+2 pins. whats the difference here?

Does the +2 pins mean its a 6 pin with 2 serperate pins so you can make it 8 pins?

Edited by Ergo_proxy

Does the +2 pins mean its a 6 pin with 2 serperate pins so you can make it 8 pins?

Yes and don't worry about the TX750M only having two 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors because you'll never need four.

Yes and don't worry about the TX750M only having two 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors because you'll never need four.

Ordered the TX750M and the xfx 6870 black (as it was only 10 euro more then the regular one)

Thanks for all the help :)