First OC

svburton

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I've been reading the forums here for quite some time and since I'm working on my first overclock thought I would go ahead and post how it's going. Right now my system consists of an AMD 945 (the AM3 version, C2 I think), Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 8Gb Mushkin Blackline 1600), ECS GTX460, Corsair 550 (HX I think), ECO ALC. I ran an 11 hour prime95 yesterday while at work and it passed with no errors. I had the CPU voltage at 1.5 but decided to bring it down to 1.45 which has been doing fine so far ( I will let it run prime95 all day while at work Monday to be sure). So far the specs are as follows:

CPU: Mult.= 14 FSB= 260 3.64Ghz 1.45v

CPU NB: Mult.= 9 2340

Ht: Mult.=8 2080

Mem: X5.33 1385 1.65v 9 9 9 24 2T (Stock manualy set)

CPU NB Vid: 1.375v

When I primed while at work it never got above 51C. As stated above I will be giving it another all day run Monday but if that goes well is there anything I need to be doing to tweak any of the settings further? I'm not shooting for a faster OC, just want to dial things in a bit better if it's needed. Thinking maybe I might need to work on the RAM timings a bit since they are set for 1600 speed right now. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I've been reading the forums here for quite some time and since I'm working on my first overclock thought I would go ahead and post how it's going. Right now my system consists of an AMD 945 (the AM3 version, C2 I think), Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 8Gb Mushkin Blackline 1600), ECS GTX460, Corsair 550 (HX I think), ECO ALC. I ran an 11 hour prime95 yesterday while at work and it passed with no errors. I had the CPU voltage at 1.5 but decided to bring it down to 1.45 which has been doing fine so far ( I will let it run prime95 all day while at work Monday to be sure). So far the specs are as follows:

CPU NB: Mult.= 9 2340

Mem: X5.33 1385 1.65v 9 9 9 24 2T (Stock manualy set)

When I primed while at work it never got above 51C. As stated above I will be giving it another all day run Monday but if that goes well is there anything I need to be doing to tweak any of the settings further? I'm not shooting for a faster OC, just want to dial things in a bit better if it's needed. Thinking maybe I might need to work on the RAM timings a bit since they are set for 1600 speed right now. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

whats your CPU-NB frequency? putting that up will also give you a performance boost. And from where you are now, what you can do is try lowering the volts and see if its stable. lower volts = lower temps

The CPU-NB is set at a multiplyer of 9 with an FSB of 260 giving a frequency of 2340. If this isn't what you were asking please explain further; I may not have caught something with all the different settings in the bios.

The CPU-NB is set at a multiplyer of 9 with an FSB of 260 giving a frequency of 2340. If this isn't what you were asking please explain further; I may not have caught something with all the different settings in the bios.

see if you can increase the CPU NB to about 2600MHz that should give you a good performance boost. show me a few bios screen shots so i know exactly what you did.

Ok, I took some pictures with my camera and uploaded them to photobucket. Hope I posted the right format, if not please let me know. I made the change to the NB Multiplyer so it is now at 2600. I will do a short stress this evening during my Sunday shows and if it passes I'll give it a full day run while I'm at work tomorrow. I appreciate you looking at this. I'm the kinda guy that has to fiddle with things hands on before it starts clicking in my head and I don't wanna fiddle this stuff into fritzing.

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

Edits to post links correctly.

Edited by svburton

Ok, I took some pictures with my camera and uploaded them to photobucket. Hope I posted the right format, if not please let me know. I made the change to the NB Multiplyer so it is now at 2600. I will do a short stress this evening during my Sunday shows and if it passes I'll give it a full day run while I'm at work tomorrow. I appreciate you looking at this. I'm the kinda guy that has to fiddle with things hands on before it starts clicking in my head and I don't wanna fiddle this stuff into fritzing.

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

Edits to post links correctly.

everything looks good if you find that your OC is unstable due to the high CPU-NB frequency try increasing the CPU-NB volts to 1.35 thats usually what it takes for 2600+MHz

Well something strange has happened. Didn't sleep well last night and was so groggy this morning I forgot to run prime. At night I put my pc to sleep and when I got in this afternoon I went to wake it up and it blue screened. I had to clear the cmos so I'm gonna start over. I'm a bit more comfortable whit this now so I'm just gonna take my time. I will post again when I have it dialed in again and then we'll see if there is anything that can be fine tuned.

In the mean time I have a question. My ram is rated at 1600 with timings of 9 9 9 24 2t 1.65v. At the moment I am going to leave the ram at these timings but drop it down so that I don't exceed the 1333 speed of the cpu memory controller by very much. Once I have my pc overclocked stable do I need to work on bringing the timings down to match the speed I will be at?

Well something strange has happened. Didn't sleep well last night and was so groggy this morning I forgot to run prime. At night I put my pc to sleep and when I got in this afternoon I went to wake it up and it blue screened. I had to clear the cmos so I'm gonna start over. I'm a bit more comfortable whit this now so I'm just gonna take my time. I will post again when I have it dialed in again and then we'll see if there is anything that can be fine tuned.

In the mean time I have a question. My ram is rated at 1600 with timings of 9 9 9 24 2t 1.65v. At the moment I am going to leave the ram at these timings but drop it down so that I don't exceed the 1333 speed of the cpu memory controller by very much. Once I have my pc overclocked stable do I need to work on bringing the timings down to match the speed I will be at?

what you should do is drop the ram down to 1333 and then increase the HTT till its back to spec at 1600 it should not bother your overlcock in any way

Ok I've been playing a bit and have gotten to the settings below. Prime95 for 12 hours top temp was 48C (ambient is usually 21 - 23 c) .

CPU NB: Mult.= 10 2600

Mem: X5.33 1385 1.65v 7 7 7 20 2T ( manualy set)

what you should do is drop the ram down to 1333 and then increase the HTT till its back to spec at 1600 it should not bother your overlcock in any way

Maybe I'm missing something in my BIOS but I do not see an option for HTT. There is the HT Frequency but if I raise the multi for it any more it goes above 2300 and my reading says it doesn't need to go above 2200. If I raise the multi on the ram it goes above 1600. Would running the ram higher than 1600 burn out the IMC on the processor? I found a couple of references that said it would but could not find anything in depth or more concrete concerning the IMC.