2500k / ASRock P67 Extreme6 - Overclocking Help!

Equipment

CPU: Core i5 2500k

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme6 (updated to latest BIOS)

Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz G.Skill Ripjaws X

Video Card: HD 5770 + HD 5450 (for multiple screens)

Storage: 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200 RPM + 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Intro

I have been googling (and searching in these forums) for quite some time on this specific bios/motherboard. There doesn’t seem to be too much information out there, unless I’m just missing something. I’ve seen where others say it was very possible to get anywhere from 4.5 to even 4.8 24/7 stability for the 2500k on this motherboard. However, those posts don’t show what specific BIOS settings they have been using. I’ve been turning on/off my computer trying to guess what I should keep on for about two days now and I haven’t had much luck.

At first, I would either just get BIOS to POST, but couldn’t get past the Windows boot-up. Thankfully, I haven’t had to clear CMOS once yet. Then, I finally got it to boot Windows, but it would either freeze, shut-down, or BSOD when I was about to log-in to my Windows account. Now, I got it to boot at 4.5 but there are still a lot of things wrong with it.

It seems to be sticking at 4.5 at idle, as you can in the pics.

Qpwbt.jpg

7sp9U.jpg

Here are the BIOS settings I have for this particular set-up:

IV9ht.jpg

CTMTC.jpg

92p9l.jpg

wSqxi.jpg

KIKuZ.jpg

VCore – this seems to be fluctuating on CPU-Z even when 100% usage on prime95, as you can see in the pics above

Load-line Calibration – I don’t see an option to disable this: it only allows me to set it to Level 1-5, and Auto:

Host Clock Override (BCLK) – I set this to 101Mhz because it wasn’t at a firm 100Mhz in CPU-Z even when it says so in BIOS; I read in other guides that people upped this to get a stable 100Mhz

PLL Overvoltage – I disabled this as suggested by many other guides. But there is also the option for CPU PLL Voltage underneath which is set to Auto. So, I’m not even sure if this is still on or not.

C1E, CPU C3/C6 State, CPU Thermal Throttling – I also disabled these as suggested by other guides.

RAM settings – I left these at auto for now; but the modules are rated at 9-9-9-24-2T (at Auto, I think they are using 9-9-9-24-1T as you can see in the pics)

I tried to put as much as effort into this post hoping someone could help me, and that maybe some others in the future could benefit from this as well. If anyone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated. I’m starting to get a headache.

I was using a P67A-UD3-B3 rev.1 before getting this “upgrade” and getting 4.8 stable at 65C, even though I didn’t have manual control of VCore. I wanted control of VCore and hoped I could get it higher and now I’m having second thoughts.

Just leave PLL Overvoltage on Auto, which usually means disabled by default.

LLC on Auto (See also: VDroop and below)

CPU-Z is going to show a fluctuating Vcore (your core voltage) because it isn't going to be perfect (see also: VDroop).

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html I would read this guide if I were you. He's using an Asus mobo to OC, but Asrock's interface is very similar (just find the same settings and change them accordingly).

Honestly, you can leave pretty much everything on Auto for starters, and then just up your Vcore and Multiplier (leave the BCLK at stock for now). For 4.8, my machine needed 1.39 Vcore. Your own chipset will vary, but just to give you a ballpark. You want to find the lowest stable Vcore possible for every multiplier in order to minimize power draw (and thus, lower temperatures). If you get a BSOD or an error in your stability testing, up the Vcore. If eventually the Vcore has been raised to the point that the temperatures are getting too high and it is still not stable, then you are probably not going to get that particular clock stable and should go back down. As a rule of thumb, I would not go over 1.45 Vcore unless you have a pretty decent cooling solution (high end air or water). I wouldn't let your temps go past 90*C either (really 70's is where I'm more comfortable, but they can be pushed if necessary).

Also, you should use more than just Prime95 to stability test- use OCCT (its a 1 hr test and easy to use- just click start and let it run). And LinX (a version of Linpacks- the same thing as Intel Burn Test if you prefer that one). Note: Linpacks will get your chip hotter than any other program- its VERY good to test your temperature stability in a very short amount of time. Do not use it without a good cooling solution (not even on stock).

Hope that was somewhat helpful. Let me know if you have other questions.

EDIT: I just saw you are using the 212+. Assuming you've got it seated well with decent thermal paste, I wouldn't be scared to push for 4.8GHz, just monitor those temps well and make sure your case has good airflow (especially on Linpacks testing... trust me).

Edited by LuckyDeath