Cant reach 4.5 ghz with i52500k.

bobesko

Currently Iam on 4.2 ghz stable with voltages raised from 1.15 to 1.25. However when I push to 4.5 ghz and raise voltage to 1.27 after a minute or two in Prime95 a get BSOD. What should I do, should I raise voltages and if so, to what value? And my second question regards Dram voltage. In bios I have 1,50v however my ram type data sheet states 1,65. So what should I do, right now its on auto. Should I set it to 1,65 or 1,50 or leave it on auto? Thanks. My mobo is Asus p67 Sabertooth, Ram is 1x4gb ddr3 Kingson hyperx genesis,part. no. khx1600c9d3\4g.

• Like 1

Hi mate.

What cooler are you using and what temps are you getting at 4.5 GHz?

What message do you get with the BSOD?

The SB CPU you have is designed to run the DRAM at 1.5 volts and by raising it to 1.65v you may damage your CPU memory controller.

This is why people generally buy RAM rated at 1.5 volts for SB systems but I think your memory should probably run fine at that voltage none the less (Someone confirm this?)

Btw if you are able to, you may want to consider getting a second stick of RAM (one identical to the one you have or one with similar timings) in order to utilize dual channel which will essentially double your memory bandwidth.

However the only way to do this is by using 2 or 4 sticks (even number of sticks).

If you want to find out more on this topic, the article Everything You Need To Know About Dual Channel Memory provides a good overview.

Edited by Alexandre

I have Arctic freezer 13 so the temps are barely reaching 50 degrees in load. Regarding ram voltage, are you sure if I set it to 1,65 it may cause damage? Because in i5 2500k oc guides there is stated that the memory voltage should be set to whatever it says on the memory label. So should I set it to 1,50? Maybe I will raise cpu voltages from 1,27 to 1.35 and see how it works.

I have Arctic freezer 13 so the temps are barely reaching 50 degrees in load. Regarding ram voltage, are you sure if I set it to 1,65 it may cause damage? Because in i5 2500k oc guides there is stated that the memory voltage should be set to whatever it says on the memory label. So should I set it to 1,50? Maybe I will raise cpu voltages from 1,27 to 1.35 and see how it works.

Like I said, SB CPUs are meant to run the memory at 1.5v. You may raise it to 1.65 but intel doesn't guarantee that it will be good for your CPU and states that Processor I/O supply voltage for DDR3 is 1.5v with a max value of 1.575v according to this i5 2500K datasheet (check page 80).

Leave the DRAM voltage at auto.

Those temps are good. I would keep incrementally raising the CPU core voltage (small steps however) to see if it stabilizes. Just make sure your temps don't go too high on that CPU.

Edited by Alexandre

Take a look at a link in my sig: Overclocking the i7 2600k. At what part of Prime95 do you BSOD? The beginning, the middle, or the end?

You can always set your RAM to 9-9-9-27-1T timings at 1600MHz at 1.5v. I've run it at 1.65v no problem for a few months now.

Well I got another problem. Now everything is stable but when I turn on the pc, after about 5 seconds it turns off, then after another 5 seconds it turns on again and its booting normally. This is very strange and I assume it has to do something oc. I think something must be wrong, isnt it?

The SB CPU you have is designed to run the DRAM at 1.5 volts and by raising it to 1.65v you may damage your CPU memory controller.

While the processor is designed for 1.50V memory using a voltage up to 1.65V will not harm the CPU. Intel states the same in the manuals for their motherboards.

The board has four DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:

* 1.35 V DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs (New JEDEC Specification)

* Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support

* Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.

* 32 GB maximum total system memory (using 4 Gb memory technology).

* Minimum total system memory: 1 GB using 512 MB x16 module

* Non-ECC DIMMs

* Serial Presence Detect

* DDR3 +1600 MHz, 1333 MHz, and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

* XMP version 1.2 performance profile support for memory speeds above 1600 MHz

Using a DIMM with a voltage rating higher than 1.65 V may damage the processor.

32-bit operating systems are limited to a maximum of 4 GB of memory. These operating systems will report less than 4 GB because of the memory used by add-in graphics cards and other system resources.

Intel® Desktop Board DP67BG — System memory for DP67BG

Actually its unstable again, I get BSOD screen in Prime. I cant reach 4.5ghz. I tried all voltages from 1.25 to 1.32 but nothing works. Phase control is set to extreme. I dont know what other important setting should I adjust.