Corsair H50 Push/Pull Config

Hey,

I have a Corsair H50 and i have the single fan set up as an exhaust, im looking to get another fan and im wondering 2 things

1. what fans i should go with

2. should i set it up as an intake setup or exhaust like i have it (I know corsair recommends the intake version but unsure of how high this would push my internal temp)

I have a Thermaltake Element S Case for reference and im cooling a AMD Phenom 2 X6 Black Edition T1100 @ 3.75 Ghz

My CPU with the 1 fan Exhaust is currently Idling at 31C

I also have 2 HD5770's so i want to take that into account when considering my internal temp

Thanks

Saltcracker

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

2 X ATI Radeon HD5770 by XfX

8GB of Patirot Viper 2 DDR 3 @ 1600 MHz

AMD Phenom 2 X6 1100T Black Edition

Corsair H50 Closed Water Cooling Unit

500 GB HD

Thermaltake Black Widow 800W

Thermaltake ElementS MidTower Case

Logitech Z-2300 300W 2.1 Speakers

42" Plasma HD TV

Edited by Saltcracker

What they mean by intake (I'm assuming) is that it is pushing air into the radiator...

Not pulling air in from outside of the case (like the front I guess?)

Usually in a situation like this I just follow what the manufacturer says. They know the best results, they do the testing!

What they mean by intake (I'm assuming) is that it is pushing air into the radiator...

Not pulling air in from outside of the case (like the front I guess?)

Usually in a situation like this I just follow what the manufacturer says. They know the best results, they do the testing!

They mean Pulling air in from the back of the case through the radiator and into the case

so Outside->Case->Fan->Radiator->Inside of case

When I reviewed the H50 I tested this and the best way overall was to exhaust the air not intake it. While intaking the air might mean a slightly lower CPU temp it also means a slightly higher case temp overall. You want hot air out of the case.

If you are going to do a Push/Pull you have a few options. I would look for a PWM splitter. This would allow you to use two fans off the CPU header and get them in sync for cooling based on CPU heat, this solution is the most quiet. If you want constant pressure then I would just get two identical fans and hoom it up to exhaust from the case. Pick based on noise level you want. I used two Antec Tri-speeds on low and the they kept everything very cool.

I would usually agree but in this case it appears Corsair just wanted to hit good benchmarks whih here does not mean good performance.

Interesting note, if you take an old dead 120 fan, cut out the insides and use it between the case and the radiator, now mount the single fan as a push rather than pull configuration, you get a small temp drop. Seems push is more effeceint than pull but compatability with case designs forced the layout decision.

Edited by ComputerEd

When I reviewed the H50 I tested this and the best way overall was to exhaust the air not intake it. While intaking the air might mean a slightly lower CPU temp it also means a slightly higher case temp overall. You want hot air out of the case.

If you are going to do a Push/Pull you have a few options. I would look for a PWM splitter. This would allow you to use two fans off the CPU header and get them in sync for cooling based on CPU heat, this solution is the most quiet. If you want constant pressure then I would just get two identical fans and hoom it up to exhaust from the case. Pick based on noise level you want. I used two Antec Tri-speeds on low and the they kept everything very cool.

I would usually agree but in this case it appears Corsair just wanted to hit good benchmarks whih here does not mean good performance.

Interesting note, if you take an old dead 120 fan, cut out the insides and use it between the case and the radiator, now mount the single fan as a push rather than pull configuration, you get a small temp drop. Seems push is more effeceint than pull but compatability with case designs forced the layout decision.

I currently have it set up as exhaust but have seen alot of people prefer exhaust over the corsair way was just wondering if anyone had experince with this.

thanks for all the tips

Edited by Saltcracker