GTX 480 + Gelid Icy Vision!

Hi everyone,

I would like to do a quick review of my experience of using the Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2 on my Asus GTX 480, and the top-class customer service by the engineer, who designed the Icy Vision - Tony from Gelid!

The temperature of GTX 480 with stock cooler is notoriously high. Before I changed the cooler, and when I over-clocked it to 800MHz Core and 2000MHz Memory using 1.050v (stock voltage), I had the below temperature:

Kombuster (DX9 + 4xAA) - 97C

Furmark (Xtreme Burning + Displacement Mapping + 4xAA) - 105C

OCCT - 105C

These temperature could very probably go even higher had I let the stress tests run longer, but I quited them for safety reason.

Then I bought one Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2, and installed it with Artic Silver 5, and unfortunately it was probably faulty because I achieved the following temperatures:

Kombuster (Same settings) - 83C

Furmark (Same settings) - 93C

OCCT - 93C

After e-mailing Tony, and he told me to try out the GC-2 thermal compund that came with the Icy Vision and I also replaced the stock Icy Vision fans with two Gelid Wind 92mm fans. He also told me not to over-tighten the screws:

Kombuster (Same settings) - 79C

Furmark (Same settings) - 86C

OCCT - 89C

And now the absolute 5-star customer service - Tony sent me another replacement heatsink, with the 92mm fan mounts, and some of Gelid's top-class GC-Extreme thermal compound for free from Hong Kong to Taiwan. I installed it tonight and tested:

Kombuster (Same settings) - 76C

Furmark (Same settings) - 73C

OCCT - 73C

Even if I added a bit of voltage (@ 1.100v) and over-clocked it higher @ 825MHz, OCCT only reached 81C while Furmark reached 75C.

For games, I only remember that Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (everything high with forced 4xAA + 4x Super-sampling Transparency) reached about 73C, but now it stays below 50C!

It is apparent that Gelid has a very successful product, and has the best customer support that I have ever seen (aside from Apple - comes 2nd now)!

Hope this review helps!

Nice. Definitely will look into those for any air-cooled systems I build. Would you be able to fit two GTX 480's in SLI with those on?

According to Gelid, you can do SLI with Icy Vision. However, correct me if I'm wrong, I think this depends on the layout of your motherboard?