Fan controller

savage70

Hello fellow OCCers whats the happs? I have 4 PWM fans for my radiators. I would like to know if i can use a fan controller to control the speed of these by using a 4pin to 3 pin connection?

A 4 pin fan uses a pwm pin to control the fan operation through circuitry on for example the mobo, so when the mobo fan connector (any component for that matter) has four pins it has pwm cababilities. The three pin connectors contain a pin for fan rpm reading. The two pin fan connectors are for positive and negative connections. All fan types can use a fan controller which is basically a variable resistor. The resistor is adjusting the positive feed to the fan, and this controls the fan operation. Care should be used with fan controllers because if the resistor dial is on max the fan may stop working because of the high resistance to the positive feed. On installation verify the fan spin visually to be sure what position the dial will work with the particular fan.

A fan connector is of a foolproof design. With a four pin male connector (has rpm and pwm capability) a 2 (no rpm or pwm operation), 3 (no pwm operation), or 4 (rpm and pwm operation) female connector can be used. No conversion cable is needed except for the older drive four pin molex connectors. The older connectors contain simply a positive and negative fan connections, but you have 4 pwm fans so this will not be an issue for you.