Overclocking Phenom 920 Quad

Ok guys, I have a Amd phenom 2 920 at 2.8ghz. I also have corsair xms2 ddr2-800mhz pc6400. My motherboard is a m4a79 deluxe by asus. I just cant make that much sense of the bios. Also how high can I clock it to with my kind of ram. Cooling is fine I have a H50. Idle at 33 full load at 40C. Anyhelp or links to helpful guides will be appreciated

Well what don't you get? How to overclock it in general, or your BIOS options?

pretty much in general. I know I can raise the FSB and voltage slighlty to even it out, but what do I do after that. I just dont really know how to adjust the HT link and all the other stuff in the AI tweaker. Here is a picture of all my settings.

0119010806.jpg

According to those setting your cpu should be running @ 3.1 ghz.thats 222*14=3108,i think you should leave it on auto or adjust it to nearly to 2000,if you have decent airflow you might be able to go higher,but it depends on your temp,run prime95 for about 2-3 hours to check stabilty,but thats cant assure you stability,your pc might get a bsod,then you might have to increase the voltage.

Okay well your HT Link should be around 2000 mhz, but you it really should make much of a difference unless it gets pretty high, which it will as you raise the fsb.

Okay so this is what I do. First I try and find the highest clock that's stable without touching voltages. To do this raise the fsb by like 5 and run Prime95 for like 5-10 minutes and repeat until prime 95 crashes your computer.

Once this happens bring it to the last stable clock, then make sure all the setting are right. Like that HT Link is around 2000 mhz and make sure your RAM isn't clocked too high, to the point where it become unstable. Now run prime95 for 30 minutes, maybe an hour, just to see how stable it is. If everything it doesn't crash increase voltage. If it does crash, then make sure your settings are okay. Especially RAM. I haven't overclocked with DDR2 ram, so I'm not sure what you should set it to when overclocking, so you might want to ask someone else about that. You have to make sure everything is fine so that if it can be overclocked higher, otherwise it'll be difficult to overclock.

So what I do with my cpu is raise the vcore voltage by .05 volts at a time. after .1 volts I also gave the northbridge a .05 voltage increase. Then once you increase your volts a little try raising the fsb again and just repeat the top. This is where you don't want to increase voltage too much for several reasons. First, you don't want to fry anything. I know you have H50 cooling but I'd still be careful although you should be fine. What I did in my bios is set an automatic shutdown once any component of my motherboard reaches 65 degrees, just a suggestion. I raised my chips vcore to a maximum of .2 over the stock voltage, which was 1.38 volts and that made a huge difference.

Edit: Oh okay and if you do have an overclock that seems stable and you want to keep it, run prime95 for a few hours to make sure its stable enough.

Edited by Lorenzomista

Okay well your HT Link should be around 2000 mhz, but you it really should make much of a difference unless it gets pretty high, which it will as you raise the fsb.

Okay so this is what I do. First I try and find the highest clock that's stable without touching voltages. To do this raise the fsb by like 5 and run Prime95 for like 5-10 minutes and repeat until prime 95 crashes your computer.

Once this happens bring it to the last stable clock, then make sure all the setting are right. Like that HT Link is around 2000 mhz and make sure your RAM isn't clocked too high, to the point where it become unstable. Now run prime95 for 30 minutes, maybe an hour, just to see how stable it is. If everything it doesn't crash increase voltage. If it does crash, then make sure your settings are okay. Especially RAM. I haven't overclocked with DDR2 ram, so I'm not sure what you should set it to when overclocking, so you might want to ask someone else about that. You have to make sure everything is fine so that if it can be overclocked higher, otherwise it'll be difficult to overclock.

So what I do with my cpu is raise the vcore voltage by .05 volts at a time. after .1 volts I also gave the northbridge a .05 voltage increase. Then once you increase your volts a little try raising the fsb again and just repeat the top. This is where you don't want to increase voltage too much for several reasons. First, you don't want to fry anything. I know you have H50 cooling but I'd still be careful although you should be fine. What I did in my bios is set an automatic shutdown once any component of my motherboard reaches 65 degrees, just a suggestion. I raised my chips vcore to a maximum of .2 over the stock voltage, which was 1.38 volts and that made a huge difference.

Edit: Oh okay and if you do have an overclock that seems stable and you want to keep it, run prime95 for a few hours to make sure its stable enough.

I WIll try that tommorrow mornng(THANKS) and when you mean overclock ram you mean the timing right? my default timing is 5-5-5-18-22. The highest clock I have got to with fsb without extra voltage is 220x14 which is 3.0ish I try 225 ,run prime 95 and fails within 3 to 5min.

Ok I get to this part so far but i fails in prime95. Could you tell me what I need to change?

**EDIT** I am stable though at 227FSB. Ran prime for half hour no crashes, but I want to push it some more if I can.

0120011004.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6967/0120011004.jpg

Edited by natethegreatess

Increase the CPU voltage a little. Increase it by .05 and see what the results are. You probably want to stay below 1.5 volts though. You should become a lot more stable if you increase it to 1.48 then just make sure you look at your temperatures as they should get hotter. But increasing the cpu voltage will increase stability a lot.

Increase the CPU voltage a little. Increase it by .05 and see what the results are. You probably want to stay below 1.5 volts though. You should become a lot more stable if you increase it to 1.48 then just make sure you look at your temperatures as they should get hotter. But increasing the cpu voltage will increase stability a lot.

So does the cpu/NB voltage look alright to and the HT and NB frequency?

Yeah everything looks fine. Did you increase the cpu/NB voltage? And if so by how much?

i think it is at 1.32 right now. I have everything stable at 227FSB and the voltage for the cpu is at 1.48 in the bios. You told me not to go to 1.5 understandable. I try to put in 230fsb and prime95 fails after going all the way to 1.5volts on the cpu and 1.35 on the cpu/nb. I increased the ram also to 1.86. Prime just fails after the first test on two cores. I took a picture of the settings. Could it be my Ram holding me back?

0121011021.jpg

It could very well be doing so. Turn your ram down to a low setting. Like 400 or something. And see if the system is just as unstable. Careful with RAM voltage though, you don't want to increase it too much. But yeah with 1.5 volts on the core you should be getting much bigger numbers than 227. Is 227 stable in Prime95?

And make sure your timings aren't out of wack. When I set my RAM to lower speed for more stability, my motherboard automatically shortened my timings, which caused more instability.

Edit: Download and install CPUID CPU Z. It helps moniter a lot of computer specs and is very useful for RAM. Here's a screenshot of mine:

post-74454-12956341779843_thumb.png

See where it says that my DRAM is 661mhz? Well you take that number and multiply it by 2 to get the whole RAM frequency. Mine is 661 x 2= 1322. Make sure yours says 380 or somewhere around there before downclocking the RAM. Oh and the numbers bellow are the timings.

Edited by Lorenzomista