Safe Voltages on Stock Cooling

I have an Athlon II X4 640 for my first build. I have never done overclocking before, but I managed to get a safe overclock at 3450 Mhz on stock cooling. My temperatures don't get over 40 degrees C. How high can I safely raise my voltage to? Has anyone tried to overclock this on stock cooling?

Yeah I don't want to spend too much money on it. I mean I don't know too much about cooling systems. Like whether to go with water or air cooling. And then what specs to look for. I'm still learning and I know I'll waste money if I buy things I know little about. So I'm just trying to get the best out of my system I guess.

Edit: Actually if anyone has used this CPU and recommends a good cooling system that's be very useful.

Edited by Lorenzomista

Edit: Actually if anyone has used this CPU and recommends a good cooling system that's be very useful.

I have a hyper Hyper 212+ on my girlfriends PC. Look around though, I got mine new from amazon for $25 shipped.

I have her Athlon 640 running at 3.5 GHz and it is very stable. The highest it has ever gotten during very long torture tests was 40c.

With an athlon x4 water cooling is way overkill, the only reason I have my girlfriends athlon at such a low clock is because I didn't have time to push it further.

Edited by gabrieltessin

Alright thank you, I'll look into that cooler. Did you keep the voltages stock? And does it run in Prime 95 at that clock? Because my system crashes during Prime 95 if I have it clocked over 3345mhz, but I keep it at 3450mhz because it runs fine at that speed. Even when I do the most demanding things.

Alright thank you, I'll look into that cooler. Did you keep the voltages stock? And does it run in Prime 95 at that clock? Because my system crashes during Prime 95 if I have it clocked over 3345mhz, but I keep it at 3450mhz because it runs fine at that speed. Even when I do the most demanding things.

Voltage set to 1.33v in Bios, it is Prime 95 6 hours stable and OCCT 12 hours lin test stable.

It could be that your RAM is limiting you, set your memory divider lower and try it.

Okay I just tried lowering my RAM speed and raising my CPU clock but no luck. I'll keep this clock until I get an after market cooler! Thanks for the help!

Just chiming in on the Hyper212+, definitely a superb cooler for the price. I don't know if there is a cooler on the market that can match it price/performance.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/budget-coolermaster-nexus-scythe_5.html