Air flow in 800D

So, I love the 800D, but the compartmentalized cooling is awkward and new to me.

I want to keep it quiet, under 40 dba would be best.

This is what I am thinking:

Bottom intake: replace the stock case intake fan with a Scythe 113CFM (likely run it at like 40-50%, but I like to have the overhead)

Rear exhaust: Turn stock inward for intake to CPU Cooler, adding a dust filter.

Top Exhaust: 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm (at 80%)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

I am thinking the Gentle typhoons can push out about 75CFM total, and I can run the UltraKaze at about 50-60CFM, plus the rear intake at ~20 CFM this will create a slight positive pressure and hopefully keep the case fairly dust free.

Does that sound cool? (hah!)

So, I love the 800D, but the compartmentalized cooling is awkward and new to me.

I want to keep it quiet, under 40 dba would be best.

This is what I am thinking:

Bottom intake: replace the stock case intake fan with a Scythe 113CFM (likely run it at like 40-50%, but I like to have the overhead)

Rear exhaust: Turn stock inward for intake to CPU Cooler, adding a dust filter.

Top Exhaust: 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm (at 80%)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

I am thinking the Gentle typhoons can push out about 75CFM total, and I can run the UltraKaze at about 50-60CFM, plus the rear intake at ~20 CFM this will create a slight positive pressure and hopefully keep the case fairly dust free.

Does that sound cool? (hah!)

First thing I would do is get a decent Fan controller. The one n my AMD rig (see sig) is good and see how that goes. Then start looking at swapping fans out.

First thing I would do is get a decent Fan controller. The one n my AMD rig (see sig) is good and see how that goes. Then start looking at swapping fans out.

I know I need one, but I don't know which one to get. I want one with temp probes, I was thinking of this guy: link

Though, I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what I need from a fan controller, I think 4 channels would be plenty (CPU, Intake, Exhaust, Rear Exhaust) but I don't know what the good brands are or the functionality I need. Any pointers?

EDIT: This also piqued my interest, any experience with that?

Edited by alexonfyre

I know I need one, but I don't know which one to get. I want one with temp probes, I was thinking of this guy: link

Though, I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what I need from a fan controller, I think 4 channels would be plenty (CPU, Intake, Exhaust, Rear Exhaust) but I don't know what the good brands are or the functionality I need. Any pointers?

EDIT: This also piqued my interest, any experience with that?

For that case get 5 channel. You will end up using them all. I particularly like the NZXT Sentry LX or LXE and will look good in your case as it has a black aluminium front fascia.

The look nice, but the reviews are pretty bad, I don't know if I can deal with the issues that the reviewers brought up.

Cant say I have had problems like those reviewers although the issues seemed to be mostly with LX E and not the LX lke I have.

Auto works fine for me on my CM HAF X. Keeps the fans 100 rpm below max most of the time. (my system generates a fair bit of heat given the overclocking).

The sensors were long enough for my HAF X.

The clock display is in American mm-dd--yy style , fine for you but would have been nice to change to dd-mm-yy and Manual setting is a bit long winded which is why I run Auto.

Thats the same way i have it setup right now. My 800D has 6 110cfm fans all around the case. Each one on a fan controller. I have them barely audible....the only fan i have at an audible speed (when not gameing) is the cpu cooler fan.

I imagine mine would likely be the GPU fan, that guy can get loud. My CPU fan is close to silent