cpu fan push / pull

Savan

My old motherboard died, and I had to replace it. The problem I'm having is that on my old board, the dimm slots were paired as 1,2 and 3,4. but on the new one its 1,3 and 2,4. My cpu cooler is the sunbeam core contact freezer, and when its installed in the normal position, the fan blocks dimms 1 & 2. So my only real option is to mount the hs backwards. Im not sure if thats a good idea for a few reasons.

1 If I mount the fan as a pull fan, I'm not sure if it has enough power. its a 120mm x 25mm 98cfm fan. (I know as thickness decreases, so does pulling power)

2 It would be inches away from my back case exhaust fan which is a 110 cfm 120mm x 38mm which would probably cause a lot of turbulence

I could mount it as a push fan, but then there would be roughly 200 cfm being pulled from a small area which would likely cause a lot of turbulence, excess fan noise and a decrease in performance of both fans.

Does anyone have an idea on what to do?

Options

1. Remove the rear case fan and use a cpu duct to the heatsink fan.

2. Turn the rear fan to intake.

3. Mount the fan on the opposite side with wire ties. Place ties on the closest heat pipe. Put one loop on the heat pipe and tie into the fan screw hole. Repeat for each fan screw hole.

4. Mount the fan on the opposite side with elastic bands. Place a band in each fan screw hole and take the opposite band end and loop through the end which was feed through the hole. Next simply wrap around the heatsink into one fin slot on bottom and one fin slot on top.

Yeah I could see how those knobs on the top would be a problem. I mean depending on how high they sit you could just lift the fan up some. Though I see your running your proc overclocked so i don't know how thats going to affect temps. Your probably going to end up moving things around and trying to find the best setup for ya since it could very quite a bit on your case setup and airflow setup. Yeah your right there really isn't a real ideal solution. Then again you could just trim the knobs off the ripjaws :whistling:

I think I figured out what to do. The retention clips for the fan just sit in the slot on the back of the fins. So if I just move it so the bottom clip is between the bottom 2 fins instead of below the bottom fin it should give me just enough clearance for the fan. The top of the fan wont be flush with the top of the cooler, but its better than the alternatives.