Need Help Overclocking my Crosshair Board

Steve79

Hi everyone.

I’m New to overclocking but not computers, My first build was my 386 back in the day and have been building machines ever since for friends and myself. I've always been good at research what hardware goes well with each other and doing the build and os installs but never took the time out to over clock any machines.

That being said, I built my current machine to overclock when need be... Well..... Need be.

I run my machine as my primary entertainment system and office, I have programs open in WIn7 like media player for my dual TV\monitor, and I use Photoshop for my photography, Itunes, blackberry desktop software, skype, and a multitude of office programs.... I like these programs open because I use them frequently threw out the day. The only problem i had with 7 is my sound card, it gives it blue scree of death every couple days but its a small discomfort ill take than using vista.

the computer handles fine but it struggles a bit at times, I’m looking to boosting it up a bit, I know how to navigate around the bios, how to reset the cmos (super easy on this board) I had a few benchmark programs but I know you guys recommendation would be on the right track.

I not to comfortable with playing around with the voltage settings, I'm unclear on the increments involved, clock speed is more comprehendible to me but like I said imp new so any help would be cool.

Thanks in advance...

Steve.

PC Specs.

Asus CROSSHAIR Board

2g RAM OCZ Dual Channel DDR2

AM2 AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ 2.41GHz

60G SSD OCZ Vertex2 (os drive)

Hard drives 1TB, 300g, 500g

Corsair 1000 hx Power Supply

Nvidia 9800 gtx plus

Typhoon am2 cooler

Cool Masetr Cosmos Case

Xfi soundblaser extreme music

Edited by Steve79

Found this article that suggests your mobo overclocks quite well. Mentions voltages and multiplier used etc their approach.

I think the key to OC this mobo is controlling heat on the chipset. Most articles I purused suggests thats the limiting factor.

Edited by dihartnell

Found this article that suggests your mobo overclocks quite well. Mentions voltages and multiplier used etc their approach.

I think the key to OC this mobo is controlling heat on the chipset. Most articles I purused suggests thats the limiting factor.

Thanks for that info.

It was a great first step. I read all the docs on new to overclocking and it really put things into perspectiave. I guess the main diffrence on that article is there using a 5000 atholon 64 and im using a 4600.

Im trying witn no results, my understanding is that rase the clock speed in 5-10Mhz incroments then when it fails or freezes then try increasese the mem voltage slightly if that dosenot work set it back and increase the core voltage and if that dose not work try to reduce the fsb.

I tryed this in many combonations and not really dooing anything.

The only results were increasing clock speed to 211. at 212 it freases untill i reduce the FSB speed.

But then again Im not sure is im setting the correct values.

Ill post the pics of the page.

Kinda scratching my head here.... but ill play with it.

post-74143-1292082953456_thumb.jpg

post-74143-12920830255037_thumb.jpg

post-74143-12920830574361_thumb.jpg

2GB of RAM is generally considered on the low side nowadays. I think if you stepped it up to 4GB you'd see a lot of improvement. Of course overclocking your processor will help too, but a RAM upgrade is something you might want to consider too.