OCCT Power Supply Test

n0b0dy

Just a stupid question. The Coolermaster CFM 90 came with a 3 pin connector. Will it run faster/better if connected to a 4 pin connector or a 3 pin connector?

I just checked, my card runs at 90 when the chassis fan is attached to the 4 pin connector (from my PSU) instead of the 3 pin connector on the motherboard! Otherwise, it will continue to rise above 90 steadily when connected to the 3 pin connector on the board!

It's likely your motherboard has some sort of fan speed controls enabled in the BIOS to keep fan noise down - so the fan spins faster when plugged directly into your PSU. If you can stand the noise keep it plugged into the 4 pin molex adapter.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to personally thank Waco, IVIYTH0S and gabrieltessin for taking out time to post in this thread. Although it may not seem so, but having somebody to reply to your queries, and just post a reply, is very very helpful, and goes a long way. Thank you.

I have finished all my stability tests. I do not have screenshots, because these tests were conducted over a period of 2 days, and I simply forgot to compile all the test data into graphic images. However, I have notes, and I would like to share them with you.

My PC specifications

Motherboard - MSI-P55-GD80

Processor Core i7 860

Memory - Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 2x2GB

Video Card - Sapphire HD 5770 1 GB

Hard Drive - WD 640 GB

Hard Drive - Seagate 1 TB

Optical Drive - Samsung DVD RW

Power Supply - Corsair VX450W

Case Coolermaster - CM690

Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 798MB Plus

Operating System - Windows 7 64-bit

BIOS settings

BIOS Flash Protection - Enabled

Full Screen Logo Display - Disabled

USB Device Legacy Support - Disabled

Intel EIST+C1E Support+OC Stepping+Intel C-State+Overspeed Protection+Turbo Boost - Disabled

Adjust CPU Base Frequency - 167

CPU Ratio - 21

Memory Timing - 9-9-9-24 2T

Memory Frequency - 1336Mhz

Adjust PCI-E Frequency - 102

CPU Voltage - 1.262 (1.17 in CPUZ)

CPU VTT - 1.254

DRAM - 1.650

Voltage Control - Low vDroop (Intel recommended specification)

Spread Spectrum - Disabled

Temperatures

CPU - 44,44,44,44 @ idle -- 79,79,79,79 @ load

Motherboard - 38 @ idle -- 45 @ load

WD640AAKS - 44 @ idle -- 49 @ load

Seagate 1TB 7200.12 - 40 @ idle -- 44 @ load

GPU Diode DispIO - 39 @ idle -- 72 @ load

GPU Diode MemIO - 44 @ idle -- 88 @ load

GPU Diode Shader - 41 @ idle -- 80 @ load

Case Ventilation

CPU cooler - CoolerMaster HyperN520

GPU Fan - 95%

CoolerMaster 90 CFM cabinet fan x 2 (blowing air in)

CoolerMaster generic cabinet fan x 1 (blowing air in)

Stability Tests

Prime95 blend tests + Furmark 1.8 + burning DVDs + copying large files + Internet Browsing --- Stable for 12 hours (I had to manually quit these tests because I ran out of DVDs to burn.

memtest86+ --- 11 passes without errors (I manually quit the test)

LinX 164 passes + OCCT GPU stable for 1 hour

Unigine Benchmark 1280x1024, Dx11, High Shaders, Extreme Tessellation, Anisotropic 16x, Anti-aliasing 8x --- Score was 390.

Prime95 small FFTs + Furmark 1.8 --- No errors for one hour (Manual quit)

Prime95 large FFTs + Furmark 1.8 --- No errors for one hour (Manual quit)

Speeds

CPU frequency - 3519Mhz

RAM frequency - 670 (Dual Channel)

GPU - 850/1200Mhz (I wanted to stay below 90 C)

The most problematic component was my RAM. I had to increase my CPU VTT voltage to get my RAM stable at 1.65 volts. Although Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 2x2GB is rated at 1.5V, I read some posts where Corsair techsupport advised users to increase the voltage to 1.65. This RAM should be advertised at 1.65 volts. I did not run any benchmark tests because I wanted a stable system, and I think these tests are enough for now! :)

If anybody has anything more to suggest so that I can make my PC more stable then do tell me. :)

Thank you all once again. I will try to come over to overclockersclub.com whenever Im online. If I do not post, please do not take it as a sign of selfishness, and do respond to my queries in the future. Thank you all! :) God bless you!

P.S. - I still haven't performed the OCCT Power Supply test! It's ironic, considering that was the thread topic!!! :P I won't be performing it anyways!

Edited by n0b0dy

Looks good! I would suggest lowering your PCI-Express bus speed back down to 100 MHz - there's no real gain for raising it and it can cause all kinds of problems that are hard to track down.