New HTPC with some questions

hockeyrcks9901

First of all, it has been a long time since I've been here. I recently (yesterday) got all the parts for my HTPC and set them all up but I have a couple of questions...

Case: Antec MicroFusion Remote 350

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 (3.1GHz)

Ram: Geil 4GB DDR3 1066 (2 x 2GB)

Video: Onboard graphics - I don't do any PC gaming

HD: WD Caviar Blue - 1TB 7200RPM

TV Tuner: AVerMedia TVHD Duet

BD-ROM: Lite-On 4X-BD 8X-DVD 32X-CD

I know that the RAM is quite cheap, has horrible timings and speed but I needed to save some money. This build is not going to be overclocked much if at all. Don't need all that power for an HTPC.

Now, on to my questions...

I have read plenty of information about the possibility of unlocking the 4th Core on some of these AMD chips. I know normally this setting is done by using ACC but I cannot find that in the BIOS. I did find something titled "CPU Unlock" but enabling that does not seem to change anything. Can anyone help in that area? I do not expect the unlock to be successful but why not give it a shot? It would certainly help with encoding the BD.

Also, while encoding a BD rip to .mkv format (no media storage server for me yet), I've noticed that the CPU is getting very hot. Right now, using only two cores, the temp is reaching 56*C. When using three cores it is reaching well over 60*C. These temps were measured with the provided Gigabyte EasyTune 6 software ( I am having bigtime issues installing MBM5). I posted a screen shot of the CPU under load encoding a BD rip using only two cores with the temp measurements from the Gigabyte software and HWMonitor. I'm not comfortable with that so I would like to get an after-market cooler of some sort. I am totally lost here as so much has changed since I built my last computer. That was back in the Athlon64 single core days. It becomes even more complicated because of the small HTPC case. Sound is not an issue as the case is 20+ feet away from the couch and TV where we will be watching.

I plan on taking this back apart tomorrow and applying some AS5 to the stock cooler and try to do a little better job of wire management but I still think an after-market cooler is in line for me. Tomorrow I am also running the coax from TV to HTPC and HDMI from HTPC to the TV.

Please, don't hesitate to ask me for more information. I'll also try and take a picture of the set-up tomorrow:

50" Panasonic Plasma (forgot model #-will add it tomorrow)

Sony BD Player (again, forgot model #)

Xbox 360

Wii

Computer area:

HTPC

Hannspree 22" LCD

Logitech 5.1 (old but works well enough)

Logitech el cheapo wireless mouse

No-name el cheapo keyboard

temperature.th.jpg

Edited by hockeyrcks9901

Someone has to have some input on this. I'm currently running the CPU under clocked at 2.8GHz with all three cores rather than just two cores at 3.1GHz.

I've found that some people really like the Scyth Shiruken coolers for low profile cases so I'm going to measure my case tomorrow and see if either of those will fit. Also, I'll be doing some wire management and applying AS5 as I wasn't able to get to it yesterday.

I'll try and play around more with the bios to see if I can figure out how to unlock the fourth core but I'm hoping someone here knows where I can do this.

Edited by hockeyrcks9901

About unlocking the fourth core, not every triple or even dual core can have more cores unlocked. Sometimes you can but it may not always be successful, like it won't be stable as a quad core. Thats one reason AMD has the triple cores.. some of the quads may have stability issues on one core so that is either cut out or software locked to turn into a triple core. My advice is, if you want a quad then buy a quad. Don't always count on buying a dual or triple core and unlocking it to a quad because it doesn't always work.

About unlocking the fourth core, not every triple or even dual core can have more cores unlocked. Sometimes you can but it may not always be successful, like it won't be stable as a quad core. Thats one reason AMD has the triple cores.. some of the quads may have stability issues on one core so that is either cut out or software locked to turn into a triple core. My advice is, if you want a quad then buy a quad. Don't always count on buying a dual or triple core and unlocking it to a quad because it doesn't always work.

I totally agree with you...I didn't even need three cores but I went with three because it was a minor cost increase from dual core and has a slight chance of unlocking. My question is not whether it will successfully unlock or not but rather finding the option in the bios. It seems like on these latest MBs, the option has been removed or modified to satisfy AMDs request that it not be there. If I unlock it and it is not stable, I would just set it back to three cores and be happy. Just hoping someone is familiar with the bios on this board and can help me find the option to unlock.

The other question I have is about getting a decent CPU heatsink & fan for an HTPC case. I'm going to open my case tomorrow and measure to see if the Scythe Shuriken and Scythe Big Shuriken would fit as I've read a couple good things about them. But I want to get the OCCs wisdom and opinion on good cooling for an HTPC case.

I have an HTPC AMD Phenom 955 and had the Scythe Shuriken on don't bother they suck, as for unlocking the foruth core you flick the switch if it's there it's ther if it isn't well there you go pretty straight forward really

I have an HTPC AMD Phenom 955 and had the Scythe Shuriken on don't bother they suck, as for unlocking the foruth core you flick the switch if it's there it's ther if it isn't well there you go pretty straight forward really

Any suggestion on a decent HSF for a small case?

Well, I've managed to get the load temp down to around 56*C at stock speed by lowing the core voltage from 1.325V to 1.200V and switching the direction of a few fans. That was using Gigabytes provided tool for windows, I'm going to set that value in the bios and try and undervolt the ram as well.