Bios/Smart6

Hello all, I'm new to the forums and had a couple of quick questions. My first is why is it bad to OC with smart6/easytune6? I have my i7 930 at 3.5GHz and it is as stable as can be. My friend went the Bios rout with unstable results. I guess I just dont understand why it would be bad to use the program from the mb manufacturer if the results are better than going through the bios it self? Once again I'm a noob to this forum and this is my first gaming rig build so go easy on me!!!l lol. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

Manufacturer: Spray22-oZ-

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz OC 3.5 GHz Thermal Take Frio CPU Cooler

Memory: 6GB OCZ @ 1600 Mhz

Hard Drive: 1 TB Western Digital 7,200 rpm

Video Card: ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR5 OC 925/1325

Monitor: 22' Viewsonic full hd 1080p

Sound Card: Speakers (2- Logitech G330 Headset)

Speakers/Headphones: Logitech G330 headset

Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II

Mouse: Logitech MX 518

Mouse Surface: Rocket fish dual sided

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UDR3

Computer Case: Thermaltake element g full tower

Characters remaining: 400

spray22 has no profile comments yet. Why not say hello?

Edited by spray22

Hello all, I'm new to the forums and had a couple of quick questions. My first is why is it bad to OC with smart6/easytune6? I have my i7 930 at 3.5GHz and it is as stable as can be. My friend went the Bios rout with unstable results. I guess I just dont understand why it would be bad to use the program from the mb manufacturer if the results are better than going through the bios it self? Once again I'm a noob to this forum and this is my first gaming rig build so go easy on me!!!l lol. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

Manufacturer: Spray22-oZ-

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz OC 3.5 GHz Thermal Take Frio CPU Cooler

Memory: 6GB OCZ @ 1600 Mhz

Hard Drive: 1 TB Western Digital 7,200 rpm

Video Card: ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR5 OC 925/1325

Monitor: 22' Viewsonic full hd 1080p

Sound Card: Speakers (2- Logitech G330 Headset)

Speakers/Headphones: Logitech G330 headset

Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II

Mouse: Logitech MX 518

Mouse Surface: Rocket fish dual sided

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UDR3

Computer Case: Thermaltake element g full tower

Characters remaining: 400

spray22 has no profile comments yet. Why not say hello?

Hello spray22,

Most people prefer to use the BIOS because it simply has more options and is more flexible than any software, but it isn't just that. Although these days overclocking software is more reliable than before as technology progresses n stuff, it can still lead to mishaps that you wouldn't want happening. The first obvious difference between the BIOS and software overclocking is that if you use the BIOS, you are in direct control of the computer and all the hardware whereas using a program to modify the BIOS for you can lead the machine to use more voltage that it should. Basically, you could use a program for a small overclock and it'll be relatively safe, but beyond that - BIOS is the way to go. Another thing is that if in your overclocking, you over-overclock so to speak, in the BIOS, the machine will simply not POST after the required restart. If you use a program, I am not sure what will be the outcome of such a mistake. I don't think it'll fry anything but I'd imagine that you don't want it happening to you.

Thanks for the info! After researching it all my voltages are correct and my temp is great. If I try to go to 4GHz I will use the bios for sure but for now my rig is running sooooooo sweet dont think I'm going to change anything. Thinking about overclocking my ram...

Thinking about overclocking my ram...

Overclocking the RAM won't yield any real performance gain that could be seen in a game for example. RAM oc is mainly used for benchmarking purposes. Though it does make your PC look cool the more it's overclocked (plus it stabilizes the CPU overclock sometimes). :D

Little heads up (unless you already know this): First overclock the Frequency, and then the timings. Just something I remember reading somewhere...

Overclocking the RAM won't yield any real performance gain that could be seen in a game for example. RAM oc is mainly used for benchmarking purposes. Though it does make your PC look cool the more it's overclocked (plus it stabilizes the CPU overclock sometimes). :D

Little heads up (unless you already know this): First overclock the Frequency, and then the timings. Just something I remember reading somewhere...

I say the opposite. Get the tightest timing your RAM can possibly handle, then up the frequency as far as it can go with those tight timing while remaining stable. That will net you the greatest perfomance increase and you WILL notice a decrease in encoding, rendering times etc.

From what I have read there are noticeable gains to be had but it boils down to risk/reward I guess. Like I said be for she's running uber sweet so i might just sit back and enjoy it for a while. Thanks for all the feed back.