Help on overclocking an i7-930

Hi guys,

I just bought a new gaming PC and wanted to start on some overclocking but I'm a complete noob at it. Please have mercy on me because I've read a few OC guides online and still lost on what to do on the BIOS. My specs are:

++ i7-930 @ 2.80Ghz

++ Asus Rampage II Gene

++ Patriot Gamer 6GB DDR3 1600 Kit

++ Gigabyte 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5850

++ Antec 900 (2 x 12mm for intake + 1 x 12mm & 1 x 14mm for outake)

++ Seasonic X-750 Gold

++ Stock CPU fans only ><

At idle, RealTemp says my cores are at 35-36C.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with changes in the BIOS. Everything is currently running at stock levels except for the RAM which I've up-ed to 1600 instead of the stock 1333.

Where should I start changing? Any suggestions on good quality cooling?

Once again, I'm a noob at this. I'm sure everyone started as a noob too...I just need a push in the right direction. Have mercy...

Thankyou.

Welcome to the club!

Before you start overclocking you should get an aftermarket cooler. You may be able to go to about 3.0-3.2 without temps going to high but those stock coolers are junk so its not recommended. Also you should run a stress test with everything at stock to make sure everything is working right to start with and see what kind of temps you have now. Use something like intelburntest or OCCT to stress the cpu.

Hello and welcome to the community,

Before you try any overclock, I suggest that you buy a good CPU aftermarket cooler. I am using a Corsair H50 and so far I am very pleased with the results, it is easy to mount, gives you space and its weight won’t harm you motherboard. I am using it in push / pull exhaust configuration and it keeps all my cores below 70 ° C running at 4.01 GHz. Currently I am running my CPU at 3.8 GHz and my cores stay below 63 ° C.

I recommend any of these coolers:

-Noctua D14 My link

-Corsair H50 My link

-ThermalrightU120 My link

The Corsair is easy to mount, occupies less space, weight less and you wont have any clearance issues with the memory coolers. Yes the D14 has better performance.

To test if my PC is stable I use 20 passes of LinX with maximum memory usage. You can download it here => My link

While you are running it, open RealTemp and make sure your Cores stay below 70 ° C. Intel claims the max Temperature is 67.9 ° C, measured in the cores is approximately 74 ° C.

There are my BIOS Settings, I am running a very similar setup to you, but be aware that each CPU may require different CPU Voltage and QPI-Dram Voltage. BUY A CPU COOLER BEFORE TRYING THESE SETTINGS:

Asus Rampage II Gene

Bios Version - 1033

Tuning Mode - Extreme OC

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual

OC From CPU Level Up - Auto

OC From Memory Level Up - Auto

CPU Ratio Settings - 19

CPU Turbo Power Limit - Disabled

Ratio Status: (Min:12, Max:21)

CPU Ratio Setting - 19

C1E Support - Enabled

Hardware Prefetcher - Enabled

Adjacent Cache Line Prefetcher - Enabled

Intel Virtualization Tech - Enabled

CPU TM Function - Enabled

Execute Disabled Bit - Enabled

Intel HT Technology - Enabled

Active Processor Cores - All

A20M - Disabled

Intel Speedstep Tech - Disabled

Intel C-STATE Tech - Disabled

BCLK Frequency - 200

PCIE Fequency - 100

DRAM Frequency - Auto

UCLK Frequency - Auto

QPI Link Data Rate - Auto

Dram Timing Control: Auto

CPU Load-Line Calibration - Auto

CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto

NB OCP - Enabled

DRAM OCP - Enabled

Extreme OV - Disabled

CPU Voltage Control - Absolute VID

CPU Voltage - 1.18750

CPU PLL Voltage - 1.81592

QPI-Dram Voltage - 1.20000

IOH Voltage - 1.11341

IOH PCIE Voltage - 1.51106

ICH Voltage- 1.11341

ICH PCIE voltage - 1.51106

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.60381

Debug Mode - String

Keyboard TweakIt Control - Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto

PCIE Spectrum - Auto

CPU Clock Skew - Auto

IOH Clock Skew - Auto

Hope this helps,

Hi guys,

I just bought a new gaming PC and wanted to start on some overclocking but I'm a complete noob at it. Please have mercy on me because I've read a few OC guides online and still lost on what to do on the BIOS. My specs are:

++ i7-930 @ 2.80Ghz

++ Asus Rampage II Gene

++ Patriot Gamer 6GB DDR3 1600 Kit

++ Gigabyte 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5850

++ Antec 900 (2 x 12mm for intake + 1 x 12mm & 1 x 14mm for outake)

++ Seasonic X-750 Gold

++ Stock CPU fans only ><

At idle, RealTemp says my cores are at 35-36C.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with changes in the BIOS. Everything is currently running at stock levels except for the RAM which I've up-ed to 1600 instead of the stock 1333.

Where should I start changing? Any suggestions on good quality cooling?

Once again, I'm a noob at this. I'm sure everyone started as a noob too...I just need a push in the right direction. Have mercy...

Thankyou.

When overclocking, it is smart to start the memory AT STOCK FREQUENCIES. Once you find a decent overclock, you can mess with overclocking ram. This will take instability on ram out of the equation. The difference in performance from 1333 to 1600MHz is hardly anything anyhow.

Before you try any overclock, I suggest that you buy a good CPU aftermarket cooler. I am using a Corsair H50 and so far I am very pleased with the results, it is easy to mount, gives you space and its weight won’t harm you motherboard. I am using it in push / pull exhaust configuration and it keeps all my cores below 70 ° C running at 4.01 GHz. Currently I am running my CPU at 3.8 GHz and my cores stay below 63 ° C.

-Noctua D14 My link

-Corsair H50 My link

The Corsair is easy to mount, occupies less space, weight less and you wont have any clearance issues with the memory coolers. Yes the D14 has better performance.

To test if my PC is stable I use 20 passes of LinX with maximum memory usage. You can download it here => My link

While you are running it, open RealTemp and make sure your Cores stay below 70 ° C. Intel claims the max Temperature is 67.9 ° C, measured in the cores is approximately 74 ° C.

There are my BIOS Settings, I am running a very similar setup to you, but be aware that each CPU may require different CPU Voltage and QPI-Dram Voltage. BUY A CPU COOLER BEFORE TRYING THESE SETTINGS:

Asus Rampage II Gene

Bios Version - 1033

Tuning Mode -Standard

OC From CPU Level Up - Disabled

CPU Ratio Settings - 19

CPU Ratio Setting - 19

C1E Support -Disabled

Hardware Prefetcher - Disabled

A20M - Disabled

BCLK Frequency - 200

PCIE Fequency - 100

DRAM Frequency - Auto

UCLK Frequency - Auto

NB OCP - Enabled

DRAM OCP - Enabled

Extreme OV - Disabled

CPU Voltage - 1.18750

IOH Voltage - 1.11341

ICH Voltage- 1.11341

Debug Mode - String

CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled

PCIE Spectrum - Disabled

CPU Clock Skew - Auto

IOH Clock Skew - Auto

Hope this helps,

Nikko, you have a lot of settings that are not good. I will change them in the quote above and you will get a higher OC.... If you have load line calibration enable it...

Nikko, you have a lot of settings that are not good. I will change them in the quote above and you will get a higher OC.... If you have load line calibration enable it...

Drdeath,

I appreciate your help; I will try the new settings. Currently I have the load line calibration enable, but its on Auto, is Auto ok??

Welcome to the club!

Before you start overclocking you should get an aftermarket cooler. You may be able to go to about 3.0-3.2 without temps going to high but those stock coolers are junk so its not recommended. Also you should run a stress test with everything at stock to make sure everything is working right to start with and see what kind of temps you have now. Use something like intelburntest or OCCT to stress the cpu.

Thanks Water_Hazard,

Yups I've tried OCing to 3 and 3.3Ghz on stock fans but I definitely need some alternate cooling. I'm planning to buy a Noctua NH-D14 and hoping it will fit in my casing considering the Rampage II Gene is quite a small board. Running Prime95 raises my temps to 70-80c on 3.3Ghz. I hope the price of the noctua will drop down soon.

Thankyou!

-Noctua D14 My link

-Corsair H50 My link

Asus Rampage II Gene

Bios Version - 1033

Tuning Mode - Extreme OC

OC From CPU Level Up - Auto

CPU Ratio Settings - 19

CPU Ratio Setting - 19

C1E Support - Enabled

Hardware Prefetcher - Enabled

A20M - Disabled

BCLK Frequency - 200

PCIE Fequency - 100

DRAM Frequency - Auto

UCLK Frequency - Auto

NB OCP - Enabled

DRAM OCP - Enabled

Extreme OV - Disabled

CPU Voltage - 1.18750

IOH Voltage - 1.11341

ICH Voltage- 1.11341

Debug Mode - String

CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto

PCIE Spectrum - Auto

CPU Clock Skew - Auto

IOH Clock Skew - Auto

Hope this helps,

Thankyou Nicckko!

You're BIOS settings are amazing combined with Drdeaths adjustments! I ran at 3.0Ghz with just changing the BCLK and my temps went over 80c (stopped Prime95 once it hit 80) but with your settings I managed to get to 3.4 Ghz and it stabled at 75c. Now I got another problem though, I decided not to OC until I get some decent cooling (planning to get the Noctua if it fits, the H50 if it doesn't) and so I restored my BIOS settings to default. I wonder if I just did a big mistake cos once I started up Windows, some drivers had to be re-installed (they re-installed automatically) and now everytime I start up my computer, it tries to load from my external Hard Drive. What did I do when loaded default settings on my BIOS? Is there any way to fix this?

Any help would be great >< thankyou for so much effort

Thankyou Nicckko!

You're BIOS settings are amazing combined with Drdeaths adjustments! I ran at 3.0Ghz with just changing the BCLK and my temps went over 80c (stopped Prime95 once it hit 80) but with your settings I managed to get to 3.4 Ghz and it stabled at 75c. Now I got another problem though, I decided not to OC until I get some decent cooling (planning to get the Noctua if it fits, the H50 if it doesn't) and so I restored my BIOS settings to default. I wonder if I just did a big mistake cos once I started up Windows, some drivers had to be re-installed (they re-installed automatically) and now everytime I start up my computer, it tries to load from my external Hard Drive. What did I do when loaded default settings on my BIOS? Is there any way to fix this?

Any help would be great >< thankyou for so much effort

You need to make sure Turbo is disabled and use 21 for the multi.... Your good to go with your reset and drivers. Don't worry.

Here is one of my stable 24/7 overclocks

kkkk.png