I need tips on what OC specs to go to.

Hey guys, thanks for reading.

I am happy with my current system, but im curious if it would be worth pushing a bit further.

I want to OC my Graphics card, so I am using EVGA Precision. ( i have riva tuner, btu the settings are not saving on my desktop, it used to but not since i build a new PC, although my laptop's rivatuner settings save)

Anyway EVGA works well too.

I am basically looking for suggested specs to push towards. ( i dont want to push it to the edge, just up a bit )

So here is what I'm running currently.

- NVIDIA GeForce BFG 9800 GT (1GB) **** Currently at default settings **** c550 - s1375 - m900

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (duo 3,0ghz)

- Asus P5N-D Motherboard

- 2GB of XMS Crosair DDR2 Twin2x sticks (two 1 GB sticks)

I basicaly want to know if my system can be 100% safe at a higher setting, and what that setting might be?

(please no guessing, i would like an experienced person to respond, some one that maybe knwos my parts well.) It is a fairly common setup i think.

Thank you.

K6

Absolutely! You got an E8400 there, which is a real good overclocking chip, if you look in the 775 Overclocking Competition Thread there's a few well over 4GHz! Depending on your stepping you should easily be able to hit 3.6 and above 100% rock stable. I personally haven't owned any Asus boards, so I have no idea whats going on there, but if you look at the overclocking guides on this forum, you should be able to figure stuff out. Here's one for the 780i, but that should translate well to your 750i chipset: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=77324

Absolutely! You got an E8400 there, which is a real good overclocking chip, if you look in the 775 Overclocking Competition Thread there's a few well over 4GHz! Depending on your stepping you should easily be able to hit 3.6 and above 100% rock stable. I personally haven't owned any Asus boards, so I have no idea whats going on there, but if you look at the overclocking guides on this forum, you should be able to figure stuff out. Here's one for the 780i, but that should translate well to your 750i chipset: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=77324

Thanks, i'll go look at those.

When it comes to overclocking, there is no such thing as a common goal. Every single individual experience WILL vary, no matter what.

All you can do is look up your parts and see what has been achieved without much stress. As the above poster said, the E8400 is a great overclocker and you'll be able to do that easily.

With the 9800GT, just try to do the normal overclocking method - do small intervals at a time, reboot, stress test, and if it works, then bring it up some more.

Make sure you have a good program like SpeedFan to monitor your temps and fan speeds so you know when to let off.