New Build

Hi,

This is my first post here and I am new to overclocking so please dont flame:P I recently bought a few parts to build a new PC since my old AMD have finally passed away. The problem is, I feel iI am not getting what I should be from this new pc. I play WoW and get bad lag despite a good connection, and get many lock ups on the desktop when using just general apps. The PC is pretty slow too, not much of an improvement despite what I have spent on new components, so please throw some suggestions forward and maybe I can learn more on overcocking too.

So here is my current system spec:-

Mainboard : Asus M3N-HT DELUXE

Chipset : nVidia nForce 780a SLI SPP

Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 955e @ 800 MHz

Physical Memory : 3072 MB - DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300 (333 MHz) - [DDR2-666]

DIMM_A1 (Bank0/1 ) : 1024 MB - DIMM

DIMM_B1 (Bank2/3 ) : 1024 MB - DIMM

DIMM_A2 (Bank4/5 ) : 512 MB - DIMM

DIMM_B2 (Bank6/7 ) : 512 MB - DIMM

Video Card: Geforce 8600GT X2 Sli

Hard Disk : ST380215AS (80 GB)

Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB)

Case: Antec 902

Cooler: AC-FREEZER7-PRO-REV2 - Arctic Cooling

I will attach and couple of CPU-z pics for you to look at. Im sure the core speeds are not what they are supposed to be...in fact quite far off, or am i just being a noob?

I have a little more £ to spend to upgrade and am thinking of Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12

and a newer hard drive with more capacity. Also thinking of getting rid of vista for a speedier XP:/

memory-866.jpg

mainboard.jpg

graphics.jpg

cpu-866.jpg

Xp was good ,better than vista but not better than 7,dont waste ur money on xp get 7 directly,

About lock up i most probably its ur voltage ur mobo isnt doing good at handling it, ur 955 is a c3 the stock voltage should be like 1.250-1.350v(it shuld be between these values),it cant be 1.470v thats not possible,go to ur bios and set ur cpu Vcore/Voltage to normal,i think its on auto,or get a bios update that should solve the problem,ur running two 8600gt in SLI?can u give me a screenshot of gpuz ?y did u go 8600gt sli i would have got a single powerful gpu instead like a 9800gt or gts 250. :biggrin:

Well I already have a key for XP, thats why I was thinking of swapping back and TBH dont have £150 spare for windows 7 after the fail of Vista. As for th voltage...it IS on auto so i can try to set to normal and the BIOS are up to date. I have dual 8600gt as I already owned these components from my old machine..

I had a similar issue recently using an msi board with the same chipset, same proc but a set a gtx 260's, I also tried using some mixed ram I had laying around at the time. The lockups and slow performance was cured by putting in 4 sticks of identical ram. I could be wrong for suggesting this to you too but it helped me and it runs great now.