Problem with core speed - E8500

Ok so i'm having a problem with my recently purchased E8500.

My PC is entirely unable to boot if the core speed is anything above 2000mz, restarting within 10 seconds or so of any changed options.

This is with all voltage related bios options set on 'Normal'.

I CAN set the multiplier to the stock 9.5 and the bus to the standard 333 to achieve 3.16 BUT only if speedstep is turned on.

The problem here is that speedstep will lock my multiplier at 6 - 2000mz anyway, even under stress.

post-72251-12771144293828_thumb.jpg

It would appear (to me) as if simply not enough voltage is reaching the CPU, ive messed around a little taking it from its normal voltage 1.275, up to as high as 1.350

So my CPU seems to be in a perminant state of underclockage :P

I'm hoping its not a hardware problem, before I bought my e8500 a month or so ago, I had my e5200 from 2.5 up to around 3.2 without any hiccups for quite some time.

So I think my motherboard (Gigabyte G31M-ES2L) is up to the task.

Sorry if none of this makes any sense, I'm not an overclocking pro, and ive been unable to find any helpful threads via google.

I'll go into more detail if required, I'm kinda just hoping theres a small option ive missed or something.

I'm presuming you cleared the Bios then updated your Bios (when installing the E8500) and reinstalled appropriate drivers or reinstalled the OS after Bios update?

post-72251-12771665167194_thumb.png

I did flash the bios within an hour of installing the new CPU and while I DID change my OS to the 64bit version of Windows 7 shortly after, I'm not sure if it would have any effect since when trying to reach stock cpu speeds

ive never actually been able to get much further then the bios screen, ive yet to sucessfully boot all the way to desktop or even "Loading Windows" screen unless my CPU has been severely underclocked.

Something worth noting might be that before I bought my e8500, I had 3gb of ram, 1x 2b stick, and a different brand 1gb stick (Both DDR2), but as soon as I installed my e8500, i'd get an error upon trying to loading any OS, after countless hours of trying to figure out what was causing this problem

I discovered that specifically my 1gb stick was preventing the computer from booting, but ONLY while the e8500 was installed, the extra 1gb stick worked fine when I switched back to my e5200.

One more thing, according to CPU-Z, my cpu is infact getting all the power allocated to it, under stress the voltage does go up to a full 1.275ish while the core speed remains at 2000~mhz

post-72251-1277166708803_thumb.png

My PC is entirely unable to boot if the core speed is anything above 2000mz, restarting within 10 seconds or so of any changed options.

I CAN set the multiplier to the stock 9.5 and the bus to the standard 333 to achieve 3.16 BUT only if speedstep is turned on.

The problem here is that speedstep will lock my multiplier at 6 - 2000mz anyway, even under stress.

It would appear (to me) as if simply not enough voltage is reaching the CPU, ive messed around a little taking it from its normal voltage 1.275, up to as high as 1.350

I'm hoping its not a hardware problem, before I bought my e8500 a month or so ago, I had my e5200 from 2.5 up to around 3.2 without any hiccups for quite some time.

Sorry if none of this makes any sense, I'm not an overclocking pro, and ive been unable to find any helpful threads via google.

I'll go into more detail if required, I'm kinda just hoping theres a small option ive missed or something.

Without more info, all i can tell you is i was able to clock my E8400 in a G31 chipset ASUS board to 3.8GHz on air cooling without too much effort. What stepping revision does cpu run ? (EO is the best) Also you should be able to get more voltage into the chip. 8400 can run to 1.5v & RAM to 2.2v to 2.4v to start & be carefully lowered to keep speed & drop temps. Also there should be advice on testing CPU health on Intel Site.

With more detailed info i might be able to help.post-72259-12772094194092_thumb.jpg

I,m sure it will only be a matter of doing a bit of maths and thoroughly going through BIOS step by step. Remember to keep records or all BIOS settings and ONLY change one setting at a time. I even had an old Q6600 up from 2.66GHz to 3.8GHz in same system.(even got it to boot at almost 5GHz, but was only stable for around 4 to 6 hours on benchtesting and burn-in.

I did flash the bios within an hour of installing the new CPU and while I DID change my OS to the 64bit version of Windows 7 shortly after, I'm not sure if it would have any effect since when trying to reach stock cpu speeds

ive never actually been able to get much further then the bios screen, ive yet to sucessfully boot all the way to desktop or even "Loading Windows" screen unless my CPU has been severely underclocked.

Something worth noting might be that before I bought my e8500, I had 3gb of ram, 1x 2b stick, and a different brand 1gb stick (Both DDR2), but as soon as I installed my e8500, i'd get an error upon trying to loading any OS, after countless hours of trying to figure out what was causing this problem

I discovered that specifically my 1gb stick was preventing the computer from booting, but ONLY while the e8500 was installed, the extra 1gb stick worked fine when I switched back to my e5200.

One more thing, according to CPU-Z, my cpu is infact getting all the power allocated to it, under stress the voltage does go up to a full 1.275ish while the core speed remains at 2000~mhz

First place to look is at RAM compatability with 8500. RAM that works on an E5200 can be no use to newer CPU's etc. Also set HPET mode for 64 bit.Also if all the enhancements and added features are still enabled, this could be causing it to undervolt. EIST,C1E,Max CPUID Limit and things like ASUS Q-fan or Gigabytes Dynamic Energy Saver,C.I.A.2,C4/C4E Support,SpeedStep,CPU IEST, plus many more adjustments to settings.