DX58SO northbridge problem

when i bought this motherboard it came with a 40mm fan for my northbridge, i hated the fan since it was so noisy so then i decided to take it off, but now the northbridge is heating up so quickly.

i have a 200mm fan on the side of my case but i dont think its doing a great job ( thermaltake element s ).

should i buy a new heatsink for my nortbridge or are there any other options.

thanks in advance :D

There are actually at least three options.

The Intel Stock N/B heatsink is pretty beefy with plenty of fins and cooling area so one cost effective solution would be to attach a 40-50mm fan directly on top of the cooler to circulate fresh air between the heatsink fins. You can do this with epoxy, spring clips or even just zip ties depending on how fancy you want to get.

The second option would be to get an active N/B heatsink along the lines of the Thermalright HR-05/IFX or similar.

The third option would be a small water cooling loop.

Nightshade,

Before you purchase the Thermalright HR-05/IFX you might want to contact TR and confirm that it will mount ok on your board. Their compatibility list only shows the Asus X58 boards, so if the Intel board has a funky hole size or arrangement it might not fit correctly.

Good luck and you're welcome.

I buy a lot of fans from here;

http://www.jab-tech.com/40mm-fans-c-102.html

If you decide you want to give that a go instead.

Man thats totally awesome, i never thought i would find 40mm fans. After a second thought i'll order a 40mm fan since the heatsink wont mount on my board. I really regret buying an intel board since it caused me a lot of problems.

I really liked the website since it had a wide range of fans to select from. The fans are cheap so I'll order 2 40mm fans.

You're amazing ! thanks again for your help !

Cheers :cheers:

No problem. Jab-Tech is an awesome company. You can place your order with complete assurance that they will deliver the product you ordered and deliver it quickly. They also have a top notch customer support program. I buy a lot of water cooling parts and fans from them.

Good luck with the new fan and keep us posted.

Wev

My fans just arrived ! easy to mount and took me less than a minute to install. Great performance and hardly hear a thing, fan noise approx 12dba which is pretty impressive.

I strongly recommend this fan for people who have a problem with their chipset.

cheers :cheers: and thanks again for the help wev :D